Cam chain adjustment question (PICS ADDED)

More
02 Aug 2012 17:53 - 06 Aug 2012 04:26 #540306 by PFD
I did a search and came up empty, I'm almost ready to ride the kz1000 around the block. All I need to do is check the valves, adjust the cam chain and sync the carbs.

My kawi shop manual is pretty clear on the cam chain adjustment other than what cylinder to be at TDC on, is there a certain cylinder I should be TDC on, or does it not matter with the kz1000? My sohc 750 is 15deg past TDC on the #1 cylinder, that's where the slack is the greatest in the cam chain. Can someone clarify where I should be on my kz?

Trying to get the maiden voyage under way this weekend, tank is cleaned, compression checked, carbs rebuilt, fluids, plugs, battery are new, brakes flushed and bled, points checked and adjusted. Almost there, haha.

78 Kz1000A2, 77 Cb750K daily rider, pinstriper and signpainter
Last edit: 06 Aug 2012 04:26 by PFD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2012 20:19 #540592 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Cam chain adjustment question
You basically just want the chain slack to be on the carb side and zero slack on the front side when the tensioner is released. Its easy enough to check with valve cover off. Lock the tensioner bolt and roll it back and forth carefully, if you feel or see slack, re-adjust.On many sportbikes you can roll the motor twice to get all the vlaves. On the Z's, I noticed if you dont go TDC on each cylinder, the vlaves seemed a lot noisier. Im old school. I adjust to the loosest gap I can find near TDC.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958

More
06 Aug 2012 04:23 - 06 Aug 2012 04:32 #540944 by PFD
Replied by PFD on topic Cam chain adjustment question
I figured it out, just went through the manual again. Worked fine, all the valve clearances were at factory spec as well. Love when things work out, fired it up today and rode it around the block for the first time as well. Man was that fun, I dont have plates or insurance yet so I just ripped up and down my block a few times. It's definatly got some balls, I can't wait to get some new rubber on it and take it on the highway. Here's a few pics of it, still needs a propper sync. although it idles smooth and pulls hard with just a bench sync. Tach was broken off and the speedo doesnt work yet, all the electrics work. Brakes seem fine since I switched out the front master cylinder and flushed new fluid through the front and rear brakes, needs a good scrubbing and cleaning.

Last edit: 06 Aug 2012 04:32 by PFD.

More
06 Aug 2012 21:42 #541093 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Cam chain adjustment question (PICS ADDED)
B) Congrats! Looks good. I picked up a 78 1000 recently and just got it running. Gotta get my carb synchs. I used J model intakes and 84 police carbs with K&Ns. So I have a little tuning to do.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
07 Aug 2012 01:56 #541144 by PFD
Cheers OldSchoolZ

Put plates and insurance on it today, it flys. Rode around the neighbourhood for a bit and man it pulls hard, speedo cable is broken so I couldn't tell how fast I was going but it wants to go that's for sure! Was grinning from ear to ear, new tires and a proper sync are next on the list. I really want to get it on the hwy and stretch its legs.