Clutch slips when applying throttle

More
28 Jul 2012 20:16 #539260 by KZCool
Clutch slips when applying throttle was created by KZCool
1976 KZ 750. The bike takes off just fine, and last time I had the clutc cover off the clutch pads were all good. Th only time the clutch slips is when I am really giving it to it and the bike hits 4k. the rpms shoot up so I let off the gas a lttle and they return to normal. I'm thinking its time for new springs. Any thoughts?

1976 KZ750 hardtail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2012 22:06 #539269 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch slips when applying throttle
Have you adjusted the clutch cable carefully following the procedure in the factory (not aftermarket) shop manual?

What kind of oil is in the engine?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
28 Jul 2012 22:50 #539274 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Clutch slips when applying throttle
Probably springs, but the wrong oil can make the clutch slip. If it is 5-30 or 10-30 car oil, it probably has Moly in it and that makes the clutch slip.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Jul 2012 00:29 #539291 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch slips when applying throttle
Would perform clutch push-rod adjustment.
Insufficient gap may be preventing full engagement.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Jul 2012 09:47 #539346 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Clutch slips when applying throttle
I use 10 w-30 motorcycle oil so I doubt its that, and I have about 1/4 inch pay in clutch lever so it should be engaging all the way.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Jul 2012 10:01 #539348 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Clutch slips when applying throttle
springs...Z1 ent enterprises....new cable and gasket wont hurt.....since the flat rate shipping...good time to do an oil and filter....at least get two more filters..all fits in a small box...three to five days...one hour swap....cheap and good service.....least thats what id did...all better

9 outta 10 springs....oh and do the cable and pushrod to the handle like the book says...i'm still [palying with mine...like a new guitar string they stretch a bit when new....i leave the pushrod adjuster a half turn back out from just light seaying, lock nut tight it on the pushrod and almost all my slack at the cable turnbukle with almost no turns out at the bar....then as i ride the handle bar thread can have plenty of threads to take out later...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
29 Jul 2012 10:10 #539354 by Patton

KZCool wrote: ... I have about 1/4 inch pay in clutch lever so it should be engaging all the way.

Nope -- also requires push-rod adjustment. B)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Jul 2012 10:18 #539358 by Patton
Clutch push rod adjustment -- Need and Purpose
[This is a 1 minute job from start to finish, maybe 2 minutes the first time.]

The FSM covering Z1 and KZ900 includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch push rod adjustment at 2000 mile (3000 km) intervals and explains the need therefor in separate text, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Besides cable stretch, clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment, with a decrease in push rod play. Due to this wear, the push rod gradually moves closer to the clutch release lever (at the lower end of the clutch cable) until it touches the adjusting screw. When the rod is touching the screw and therefore has no play, the clutch will not engage fully and clutch slippage will occur. Note that the clutch push rod does not necessaily have play just because the clutch hand lever has play, and so hand lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

The FSM covering '77-'79 KZ1000's includes a periodic maintenance chart requiring clutch adjustment at 5000 km intervals, and explains the need therefor in slightly different language, which explanation is quoted verbatim as follows:

Clutch plate wear also causes the clutch to go out of adjustment. This wear causes the play between the push rod and the adjusting screw to gradually diminish until the push rod touches the adjusting screw. When this play is lost, the clutch will not engage fully, causing the clutch to slip.
NOTE: Even though the proper amount of play exists at the clutch lever, clutch lever play alone cannot be used to determine whether or not the clutch requires adjustment.

end of excerpt

While the clutch may indeed be worn out with plates needing replacement, it isn't uncommon to overlook or be unaware of the clutch pushrod adjustment feature, especially without a manual. It is worrisome to see anyone of unknown experience, without a manual or failing to consult a manual, proceed with clutch disassembly and plate replacement, without first being aware of and considering the clutch pushrod adjustment.

Where both (1) clutch cable slack adjustment is perfect, and (2) clutch pushrod adjustment is perfect, and the clutch still slips, suspicion is certainly toward the plates being worn and needing replacement. But other things can also cause slippage, even with proper adjustments and good plates, such as glazed plates or improper oil being used in the crankcase.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Aug 2012 22:07 #541853 by KZCool
I have a manual and set the push rod adjustment as descibed when I first installed it. However I didnt know that the slack in the lever didnt directly correlate with space between the adjuster and pushrod. Thanks for the heads up.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
10 Aug 2012 22:46 #541863 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Aug 2012 22:58 #541868 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Clutch slips when applying throttle
:blink: wow Patton, you are pretty good with MS Paint. :P

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
30 May 2013 13:54 #589936 by KZCool
Well I found out why my clutch was slipping. one of the bolts holding the springs in was backing out and ended up exploding out the side of my case :( . fun day let me tell you. Just came back across this forum after a while and thought it was a good story :laugh:

1976 KZ750 hardtail