Mystery liquid in the ignition timing housing

More
27 Jul 2012 17:48 #539067 by 650ed
The Kawasaki Service Manual is the one that's best. When you are turning the engine you are actually just turning the end of the crankshaft. The advancer rotates a number of degrees relative to the end of the crankshaft as the rpm's rise. This then advances your ignition timing allowing the spark plugs to fire a little earlier relative to the pistons reaching top dead center as the engine speed increases. This is necessary to obtain good performance. If the advancer is rusted or otherwise unable to operate smoothly the ignition timing will not be accurate and the engine will run poorly. You will need the book to see how to remove, clean, and lube it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunty27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
27 Jul 2012 18:58 - 27 Jul 2012 18:59 #539072 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Mystery liquid in the ignition timing housing
Check on the last couple pages of that PDF Kawasaki manual and you should find a index that lists all the pages that are specific to what you're dealing with.

If you make a copy of them it helps a lot. ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 27 Jul 2012 18:59 by bluej58.

More
28 Jul 2012 08:34 - 28 Jul 2012 08:38 #539196 by Patton

Bunty27 wrote: ...

Attachment contact_breaker_ignition.jpg not found

It's difficult to determine from the photo whether and to what extent the gasket under the points cover is damaged, which may allow water intrusion.

As suggested, the existing gasket should be examined and replaced with a new gasket if needed.

Before installing the new gasket, all traces of the old gasket should be removed from the mating surfaces (which mating surfaces should also be otherwise clean).

A new gasket is inexpensive, and available from sources such as Z1 Enterprises.
The new gasket should be installed "dry."
And it would be a mistake to use silicone or similar type sealer instead of the gasket.

Attachment icigniteradvancerplateremoved.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jul 2012 08:38 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, Bunty27

More
01 Aug 2012 15:12 #540012 by Bunty27
Replied by Bunty27 on topic Mystery liquid in the ignition timing housing
The gasket does look bad and I'm the process of buying one. I couldn't find one at z1enterprises though and I'm still looking. I'm convinced that the water may have gotten in during a power wash or something due to the bad gasket.

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
02 Aug 2012 12:35 - 22 Jan 2013 21:10 #540255 by martin_csr
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 21:10 by martin_csr.

More
02 Aug 2012 13:20 - 02 Aug 2012 13:22 #540260 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Mystery liquid in the ignition timing housing
The PDF manual will have an appendix with a supplement that will cover the newer stuff from more recent model years. There are also two separate supplement PDF's for even more recent stuff. The only bikes not really covered are the shaft drive models. There is a different manual for those, and none on PDF that I know of.

Yeah it's water. The ignition cover is not water-tight. At the bottom there is a weep hole (actually, just a groove at the bottom of the mating surface) to let out any moisture that accumulates or leaks in at the top of the gasket. However, if the bike was in a flood or ridden in heavy rain for many miles, it would be normal to have some water in there.

You have to take everything apart and clean/lube it as Patton instructed, and you'll probably be fine.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2012 13:22 by loudhvx.

More
02 Aug 2012 14:42 #540272 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Mystery liquid in the ignition timing housing
That looks like an electronic ignition to me. The advanced is the black piece behind the bolt head. With the engine off you should be able to turn the advanced clock wise and is should snap back once released. If it doesn't you will need to take it apart and lube everything and put it back together. I don't think it is a Dyna ignition but its close. You may beable to find some images on their site.

Good luck.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
02 Aug 2012 14:56 #540273 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Mystery liquid in the ignition timing housing
It's the stock factory ignition for that bike.

More
09 Aug 2012 23:25 #541648 by Bunty27
Replied by Bunty27 on topic Mystery liquid in the ignition timing housing
kaw-ho-lic, I was able to turn the advancer clockwise and it snaps back just fine. It looks good for now. Thanks for your help.

1982 KZ550 LTD