no neutral...

More
22 Jul 2012 18:17 #537697 by brianrae33
no neutral... was created by brianrae33
K...here it goes...riding the other day and my rear wheel locks up..clutch seemed fine but even engaged the rear wheel would not move..now..when i put bike in neutral...or where neutral should have been...and engaged the clutch rear wheel freed up..dropped my trans pan and pulled the clutch basket cover off...everything looked fine..tran was not locked up as i had feared..clutch basket locked and felt solid..so.. took sprocket cover off and looked at shift mechanism..again everything seemed fine..put back together and now cluth engages with bike in gear as it should..can spin rear wheel easily...but now i have no neutral!!!any help/advice at all would be awesome as i am at my f..king wits end...

1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2012 18:42 #537701 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic no neutral...
To me it sounds like the gearbox isn't shimmed properly, which must come from wear or damage. If two gears can be selected at once, the gearbox will lock up. As it sits right now, it works but the gears have slid so that you cannot get the middle position where neutral is.

Regardless of what the issue really is, I would not ride the bike until the fault is found. If the gearbox locks up, it won't help to pull the clutch. Could quickly turn into a nasty scenatio.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
22 Jul 2012 20:12 #537709 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic no neutral...
no intentions of riding it trust me!!just gonna have to pull the engine out for a third time and take the lower case off and replace the gearsets and shift forks...fun fun!!

1982 kz1000ltd

More
22 Jul 2012 20:13 #537710 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic no neutral...
thing that kills me is it just happened all of a sudden...ran great up till now...well.. still does run great...just wont move...lol :whistle:

1982 kz1000ltd

More
23 Jul 2012 06:19 #537816 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic no neutral...
My guess is that something broke or shifted - a bearing shoved out of position, allowing one of the gearbox shafts to wander, a shift fork not longer kept on its axle, something like that. I understand your frustration, but do not gamble with your life ;)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition