KZ750 clutch adjustment procedure

More
13 Jul 2012 15:37 #535691 by mike0537
KZ750 clutch adjustment procedure was created by mike0537
On my 1980 KZ750 I am having a difficult time adjusting the clutch properly. It seems it either slips or doesn't fully release. With minor adjustment of the lever adjustment I can make it where I put the bike in gear and it stays still with the lever pulled and the clutch slips under load. Of if I turn it maybe 1 full turn looser it will not fully release causing it to want to move in gear. This is making a hell of a time for my idle adjustment. Please help!

1980 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2012 15:52 #535694 by osage
Replied by osage on topic KZ750 clutch adjustment procedure
First do you have a FSM for your bike? If you do are you following it?

I just put a new cable on my 82 last Sunday. I don't have FSM with me. There is a difference between the H1 and H3 adjustment. But I don't remember which direction you need to turn the push rod adjustment screw. Until I can get to the FSM I will hold off on the steps.
Hopefully someone else will answer you. If not I can post steps and measurements later today.

1976 KZ750B1
1982 KZ750H3

More
13 Jul 2012 17:01 #535705 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ750 clutch adjustment procedure

osage wrote: First do you have a FSM for your bike? If you do are you following it?

I just put a new cable on my 82 last Sunday. I don't have FSM with me. There is a difference between the H1 and H3 adjustment. But I don't remember which direction you need to turn the push rod adjustment screw. Until I can get to the FSM I will hold off on the steps.
Hopefully someone else will answer you. If not I can post steps and measurements later today.

+1 You really must use the procedure in the Kawasaki manual. Fiddling with the nut at the lever is simply adjusting the amount of slack at the lever; that is not the same as adjusting the clutch. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)