I have a few questions 1980 KZ 1000 Bare Bone Cafe

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
13 Jul 2012 03:49 #535594 by peavylotus
As of a few days ago I successfully rebuilt my wiring harness using LoudHVX's bare bones wiring diagrams. Found out I have a DYNA S ignition system in the process, whoo! Since the hardest mod is completed, I see smooth sailing on my cafe project.

Will a substance LIKE JB weld wrapped in heat wrap, work to fill pin size holes halfway down the exhaust

After the tach wire is out, do I need to worry about oil leaks

Is brake resurfacing a option for motorcycles

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2012 08:01 #535609 by les holt
As for your tach drive, Been riding mine with out the cable with no leaks until last Saturday. The drive shaft broke and spit it out, massive oil leak! Drove a stick in it to finish ride. I'm fixed now but could have been ugly getting oil on the tire. I'd say put a plug in it.

Les

More
13 Jul 2012 08:50 #535615 by Mcdroid
+1 on what Les said...plug the hole.

Replace the exhaust.

Yes, on the brake disk resurfacing...but only once if they aren't too worn or warped...careful, if they are surfaced too much, they become too thin. I had the front rotors on a GPz1100 surfaced by a reputable craftsman and it went well.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
13 Jul 2012 12:57 #535659 by damarble
Another option for the discs if finding a good used pair. I got a nice set from a KZ1000 off ebay for $25 shipped, they are cheap.

I just welded shut the end of my tach cable to make my own plug, but there's other ways to attack it.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
13 Jul 2012 15:35 #535690 by peavylotus
Well that just about sums it up than, Ill get new rotors, exhaust, and plug the tach hole.

Thanks all,

Ill be done with this bike soon and when I'm done I'm starting a thread showcasing it, so all can see it all sweet like (the picture above is a before picture). It wont be a show bike but it will still be the coolest bike in front of my two eyes haha.

Thanks again

More
13 Jul 2012 16:14 #535701 by gwolever
Bike looks great so far.

As far as plugging tach drive, I got this idea from 4TheKZ1000:

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/532087-tach-gear-cover

Attachment 015_2012-07-13.JPG not found

As far as the rotors, I sent my front ones to TrueDisk:

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/531114-t...-front-rotors#531761

I'm thinking that the JB Weld on exhaust and heat wrapped would work. I guess it just depends how much you want to pay for the build.

Keep us posted on whatever you decide and more pics.

1982 KZ1000 CSR
Attachments:

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
13 Jul 2012 16:58 #535704 by peavylotus
That tach plug looks legitimate.

My challange for the bike is; The only money I will spend on the initial build is the amount I get from selling the parts I dont want.

Choosing this because I know it runs beautifully with brand new rebuilt carburetors. I bought it from a motorcycle shop I worked at. The customer didn't want to put more money into it. His loss of $1000.00 is my gain on this one. I paid him 600 for it.

So far I sold the fender and tail light so im at $30.00, if I sell everything Ill be at $200.00

Here is a picture of my progress.

Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2012 18:05 #535713 by gwolever
That sounds like a great plan. You should be able to get some good $$ for parts you plan on taking off. I did the same thing. I've gotten a little over $700 from selling parts. I still have quite a bit of good parts to sell still too.

Bike lookin good. You're on your way.

1982 KZ1000 CSR

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
13 Jul 2012 18:22 #535717 by peavylotus
Oh wow haha I probably cant get that much for my parts, they're a bit worn in. Though I am selling the starter but haven't put it on ebay yet if you would want to give me a KZ riders suggestion on what it is worth.

I cleaned my rotors up and they look fine they arent even rusted or too worn. A good resurfacing and good as new. I just want the disk to lose the wear marks make it feel/look nice and new. So far the project is surprisingly smoother than I thought it would be.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
13 Jul 2012 19:47 #535732 by wireman
If the rotors are flat and you just want them cleaned up you can pull them off and glass bead them. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
13 Jul 2012 21:34 #535746 by peavylotus
I have a sand blaster at my disposal but no bead blaster. Though I took my headers off to check out the damage...Terrible, just terrible rusted through in places and cracked, this thing bottomed out hard at some point in its life. The bottom tube is half caved in a 6 inch span...Can't find any decent exhaust for less than 200 dollars...smooth sailing came to a abrupt end haha