Timing light for kz750

More
09 Jul 2012 22:13 #534942 by bobski911
Timing light for kz750 was created by bobski911
Hey everyone,

I just slightly adjusted the timing on my kz750f1(dyna-S). I have the F mark lined up perfectly but when I run up to 3800rpm its not between the two marks. What does this mean? Is there adjustments I can make?

Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Jul 2012 22:18 #534943 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Timing light for kz750
Some timing lights are effected by the wasted spark, double firing of the Bikes Ignition system. What are you finding. Does you light have an advance feature, so you can set it lets say 40 degrees then rev and see it line to the "T" mark. This would indicate 40 degrees Total on the advance curve, which may start at 10 before TDC.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
09 Jul 2012 23:08 #534952 by bobski911
Replied by bobski911 on topic Timing light for kz750
Hey Motorhead, No I don't have an advance feature on the timing light. I just got a basic timing light. Should I get the one with an advance feature? I just went out an bought a basic one to make sure the timing was good. The F didn't line up perfectly so I made a little adjustment. Everything seems to run fine, but in the manual I think it says "at 3800rpm, the mark should line up between the two lines". My bike goes past the two lines. Just wondering if that good, bad, or something is out.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Jul 2012 23:15 - 09 Jul 2012 23:27 #534954 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Timing light for kz750
Well you don't have to use a light with the advance feature, its just easier. Best to use a degree wheel, make a mark at max advance of what your manual states is the top of the curve. Like 45 probably. Then see where it lands when revved. A little less can be better than more, but thats per motor seems like, and fuels etc play into it alot. If its running fine with the "F" mark lined up at Idle it is probably OK. But Total advance can cause some major engine damage so it is worth checking correctly. There should be a Bump stop for the full advance, some use a little rubber cushion to limit the total, or if metal to metal, they can be tweaked a bit. Or I suppose you could add to the area to close up the curve.
I gave mine a small tweak, and am still at the 10 initial at Idle, but shortened the total to about 40 or so. But my liquid cooled Concours I did just the opposite nearly. Se the timing up further +4 degrees all through, Idle up thru total. Now its 14 at Idle and 44 at Max advance.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 23:27 by Motor Head.

More
10 Jul 2012 02:26 #534992 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Timing light for kz750

bobski911 wrote: Hey everyone,

I just slightly adjusted the timing on my kz750f1(dyna-S). I have the F mark lined up perfectly but when I run up to 3800rpm its not between the two marks. What does this mean? Is there adjustments I can make?

Thanks for the help.

still using the mechanical advancer assembly?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Jul 2012 11:25 #535044 by bobski911
Yes, still using the mechanical advance.

More
10 Jul 2012 13:39 #535070 by bobski911

Motor Head wrote: Best to use a degree wheel, make a mark at max advance of what your manual states is the top of the curve. Like 45 probably. Then see where it lands when revved. A little less can be better than more, but thats per motor seems like, and fuels etc play into it alot. If its running fine with the "F" mark lined up at Idle it is probably OK. But Total advance can cause some major engine damage so it is worth checking correctly.

Thanks Motor head,

I'm not too familiar with how this timing works. My manual says the top of the curve is 38.5-41.5. I'm not sure what that means. I just realized that I set the timing to F mark where I have my idle at, which is 12-1300rpm. The book say idle should be at about 1100. Do you think that because I set the F mark up at 12-1300rpm, this is why I go past the two line markers?
You have also mentioned gas can be a factor, I used premium with a little octane boost. You think?

More
10 Jul 2012 15:18 #535087 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Timing light for kz750
a big timing wheel will give you much more accuracy.

thing is you'll also need a TDC tool to set it, take off alternator cover, rotor bolt, etc.

but if you are not lazy its definitely worth the effort.

just be careful not to bend valves with the the TDC tool!

More
10 Jul 2012 15:44 #535095 by bobski911
Whoa whoa there turboguzzi,

I like the sounds of this, can you lead me to more info on the tools/parts, or procedure.

Thanks

More
10 Jul 2012 18:27 #535116 by bountyhunter

bobski911 wrote: Yes, still using the mechanical advance.

That's what it screwed up on mine. The advance range narrows as they wear so you get either timing correct at idle or high RPM, can't get both right. It's because it does not give correct range of advance.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Jul 2012 18:53 #535117 by bobski911

bountyhunter wrote:

That's what it screwed up on mine. The advance range narrows as they wear so you get either timing correct at idle or high RPM, can't get both right. It's because it does not give correct range of advance.

Thanks bountyhunter. What do you suggest I do?

More
10 Jul 2012 20:21 #535130 by bountyhunter

bobski911 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Thanks bountyhunter. What do you suggest I do?

I had to replace the springs on mine to get it to work.

Check yours: if the "weights" have play in them, the thing is not going to work right.

1979 KZ-750 Twin