bike is running hot

More
09 Jul 2012 21:12 #534926 by zig
bike is running hot was created by zig
my bike is running hot pipes are truning like a brownish/blueish tint i think it may-be timing on it how do you check timing on a 1980kz ltd hi and what should be the timing on it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Jul 2012 21:27 #534933 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic bike is running hot
Well best to have a decent timing light. Check that the "F" mark lines up at Idle on the #1 plug wire. Then check the advance, once revved over 3500 it should go up to another set of marks for full advance, then come back to the "F" mark smoothly. if there is any Lag, try removing and cleaning/ lubing the advancer assy. Be careful not to reassemble 180m out, make some easy to see marks if needed.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
09 Jul 2012 21:47 #534937 by zig
Replied by zig on topic bike is running hot
i never timed a motorcycle lol so i have no clue where to start to do it and how you see them marks im lost lol can u give me a step by step on it

• Motor Head
  • User
More
09 Jul 2012 22:09 #534941 by Motor Head
You do have a timing light? How about the service manual?
You need to pull the small 6" or so sized cover from the right hand side of the engine. That is where it all happens. You should be able to see the marks, on the outside edge of the advancer, and the permanent mark on the case, which is straight up. These will have a T and an F. The "F" is for the spark timing at Idle. Like I said, you need to see the advance, which will come in when revved, go back and forth, smoothly with the engine rpm change. If the rpm is steady then the timing should be steady.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
09 Jul 2012 22:51 #534947 by zig
ok i understand now i dont have a manual been looking for one but i dont know what one to get see the bike is a 1979 kz750 ltd h1 but most parts list for a 1980 it was built in aug. of 1979 and when i bought a carb kit it was wrong needle jet and float needle where way smaller lol so how do you adjust it and what should it be set at

More
09 Jul 2012 22:52 #534948 by zig
i really like that you went into detail with me

• Motor Head
  • User
More
09 Jul 2012 23:10 #534953 by Motor Head

zig wrote: ok i understand now i dont have a manual been looking for one but i dont know what one to get see the bike is a 1979 kz750 ltd h1 but most parts list for a 1980 it was built in aug. of 1979 and when i bought a carb kit it was wrong needle jet and float needle where way smaller lol so how do you adjust it and what should it be set at

You need the correct ones, Needle Jet or Jet Needle. One is the Orifice, the other the tappered needle. Then the float needle which meter fuel into the bowls, along with the seat for it, they come in different sizes. It really sounds as though you need the proper cab kits, if you are lean on fuel it will run hot. Jet sizes, fuel level in the bowls etc all play into this.
Look here on KZR, "File Base" Non specific models. It will have all kinds of carb info. It right at the top, far right of the screen when you're logged in.

More
10 Jul 2012 02:28 #534993 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic bike is running hot
Never seen single wall exhaust pipes that did not turn blue on a KZ.

1979 KZ-750 Twin