Help pop bang KZ900

More
08 Jul 2012 06:43 #534612 by sled
Help pop bang KZ900 was created by sled
So the story goes i bought a kz900 in January this year. Always wanted a Z. Anyway it idled ok little pop when cold around 3000k didn't really take it for a run, stripped the tank panels had them painted diamond green. Got them back last week and i flushed out the tank with fuel till what i thought was looking pretty clean. new fuel, line and filter. My old man in his wisdom put a bit of engine oil in the tank to stop it "rusting" took me bloody hours to flush it clear, there was alot of **** in the tank. I cleaned the fuel tap and put new seals in it. It started up ok little rough and smoky at first (ill blame the old man for that). When warm it seemed to rev ok, so off i go for a block lap back firing at throughout the rev range, when i got back i couldn't make it up the drive just lost power under load.

Today i drained the tank, yes i could see more sh...t came out, The fuel line were clear and i drained the carb bowel on the fuse side it looked clear also. I did put new lines and filter on, the filter were small pyramid rock type. No leaks at the connections. I have changed the oil and new oil filter but that is it so far.

Yes i am new to Zs and sorry for the Qs. but any thoughts?

Are these filters ok?
It is pain to fit to inline filter especially the one on the clutch side it is so tight any suggestions how this could be plumbed?
what do you think new plugs?
I have pods at the moment am waiting on the rest of the bits (aircleaners, manifolds before i fit)

any help is greatly appreciated. I am busting to ride this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2012 10:02 - 08 Jul 2012 10:10 #534629 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Help pop bang KZ900
Greetings
Had a very similar situation on my '75 Z1-B 900.Difficulty starting, popping and occassional backfire, would seemingly foul the plugs, etc. etc. I was very discouraged. :( :(
Ended up having a friend who is excellent mechanic to take carbs off bike, completely dissasemble, clean and install a kit in ea. Got the carb kits from Z1E,Very complete kits , had all the parts I needed, also had to take tank off bike and thoroughly flush ( twice) and replaced the petcock with a new stock type piece ( also from Z1E), My friend also discovered that at some point in the bikes life, someone had changed the needle setting/position leaning it out, to compund that I have an aftermarket exhaust system Mac 4 n 2 ( Very,Very dissapointed with that but thats another story) , so prolly would have fried a piston if had not been corrected, he also placed needles back in factory position /setting. all of these things solved my problems!!. B) B)
Bike now starts easy, runs great, does not foul plugs,Really,Really pleased.
Good Luck!!
Ed Tenneesse Z

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's
Last edit: 08 Jul 2012 10:10 by ed spangler.

More
08 Jul 2012 10:16 #534632 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Help pop bang KZ900
Mine pops or hiccups a little when cold. I just let it warm up completely throttling the choke, its fine after that.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
08 Jul 2012 10:52 #534635 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Help pop bang KZ900
B)

Kidkawie wrote: Mine pops or hiccups a little when cold. I just let it warm up completely throttling the choke, its fine after that.

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
08 Jul 2012 11:03 - 08 Jul 2012 11:16 #534636 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Help pop bang KZ900
I'm probably wrong but I think someone told me that if it pops after it is warmed up it's running lean.
Maybe the wrong jets, something is clogged up or someone messed with the needles like Ed said.

I can't find a good size filter for the clutch side hose either so I'm trusting the fuel tap screen in the tank, I still have a clear filter on the other line that I am watching.

I don't recommend doing that in your case a least until you get everything cleaned up.

Good luck

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 08 Jul 2012 11:16 by bluej58.

• tybolt99
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
08 Jul 2012 11:37 - 08 Jul 2012 11:40 #534641 by tybolt99
Replied by tybolt99 on topic Help pop bang KZ900

bluej58 wrote: I'm probably wrong but I think someone told me that if it pops after it is warmed up it's running lean.
Maybe the wrong jets, something is clogged up or someone messed with the needles like Ed said.

I can't find a good size filter for the clutch side hose either so I'm trusting the fuel tap screen in the tank, I still have a clear filter on the other line that I am watching.

I don't recommend doing that in your case a least until you get everything cleaned up.

Good luck

JD

Tried this type?

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2012 11:40 by tybolt99. Reason: fix pic