Clutch push rod 750B twin

More
08 Jul 2012 16:37 #534693 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Clutch push rod 750B twin
On the big 4's, it's on the sprocket cover, Id imagine your bike's is similar.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2012 17:49 #534710 by Cdiver
Replied by Cdiver on topic Clutch push rod 750B twin
Looks like there is an 1/8" ball bearing that is supposed to be between the set screw and push rod. I am missing this. Might be the problem?

1978 KZ750 Cafe Racer

More
08 Jul 2012 18:14 #534714 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch push rod 750B twin

Cdiver wrote: Looks like there is an 1/8" ball bearing that is supposed to be between the set screw and push rod. I am missing this. Might be the problem?

The ball bearing does not go between the set screw and push rod. It goes between the push rod and clutch spring plate pusher. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Jul 2012 14:24 #534844 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Clutch push rod 750B twin

jonnybravo wrote:

Cdiver wrote:

Cdiver wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: I think it pulls out but there's a round ball bearing in there somewhere that often gets lost and inspires "Why doesn't My Clutch Work Anymore?" threads.

So now what? Remove the cover behind the sprocket and put the ball bearing back in, then replace cover?

I only pulled the rod out no more than half an inch.

a half an inch too much amigo
do a search there's only about 50 threads on this

Nonsense! It's a 750 twin, the worst that can happen is the ball will fall out on the floor, and that's only if the rod is completely removed.

KD9JUR

More
09 Jul 2012 14:58 - 09 Jul 2012 14:59 #534849 by 650ed

steell wrote:

jonnybravo wrote:

Cdiver wrote:

Cdiver wrote:

bountyhunter wrote: I think it pulls out but there's a round ball bearing in there somewhere that often gets lost and inspires "Why doesn't My Clutch Work Anymore?" threads.

So now what? Remove the cover behind the sprocket and put the ball bearing back in, then replace cover?

I only pulled the rod out no more than half an inch.

a half an inch too much amigo
do a search there's only about 50 threads on this

Nonsense! It's a 750 twin, the worst that can happen is the ball will fall out on the floor, and that's only if the rod is completely removed.

+1 What possible harm can pulling the clutch rod out 1/2" cause? None that I can think of. :unsure:

Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 14:59 by 650ed.

More
09 Jul 2012 16:06 #534859 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Clutch push rod 750B twin
I don't remember having a problem either, as long as you put the pieces back in right.

It is possible to get the release assembly together wrong if you take that apart.... guess how I know that. :laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Jul 2012 20:06 #534919 by Cdiver
I didn't pull the release assembly apart. I've tried to adjust the clutch cable multiple different ways. At the lever an the adjustment nut mid cable. Still no go. Feel like the clutch is disengaging, but when I try to move the bike with lever pulled it doesn't wanna go. Feels like it is close, but no go. When I pulled the push rod it might have been a little more than half an inch but no way did I pull it all the way out. I was planning on pulling the trans cover tonight and checking I see I the ball is out. If so I assume it would be somewhere in the bottom of the tranny? If/when I pull the trans cover is the spot where the ball should be right there or do I need to pull the drive gear and clutch hub as well? Please say I don't need to do this.

1978 KZ750 Cafe Racer

More
09 Jul 2012 20:41 - 09 Jul 2012 20:44 #534922 by 650ed
I wouldn't be pulling any of that stuff apart; why do that? I would just clean and lubricate the clutch release mechanism, adjust the clutch properly (using instructions from the Kawasaki Service Manual) and ride the thing. Adjusting the clutch involves more than just the nut at the lever and the mid cable adjuster, but it is easy to do. Unless you pulled the clutch rod all the way out and laid the bike on its left side the ball is still where it belongs. What makes you believe it fell into the tranny and how could it??? I honestly think you are making this into a huge project when there really is no problem to solve. When is the last time you actually rode the bike? If it has been a while your clutch plates may just be stuck together. If so this is really easy to fix - no tools or disassemble required. You have not hurt anything yet, but start pulling stuff apart and you increase the odds dramatically. Ed

Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 20:44 by 650ed.

More
09 Jul 2012 21:18 #534930 by Cdiver

650ed wrote: I wouldn't be pulling any of that stuff apart; why do that? I would just clean and lubricate the clutch release mechanism, adjust the clutch properly (using instructions from the Kawasaki Service Manual) and ride the thing. Adjusting the clutch involves more than just the nut at the lever and the mid cable adjuster, but it is easy to do. Unless you pulled the clutch rod all the way out and laid the bike on its left side the ball is still where it belongs. What makes you believe it fell into the tranny and how could it??? I honestly think you are making this into a huge project when there really is no problem to solve. When is the last time you actually rode the bike? If it has been a while your clutch plates may just be stuck together. If so this is really easy to fix - no tools or disassemble required. You have not hurt anything yet, but start pulling stuff apart and you increase the odds dramatically. Ed

I did not pull the lever all the way out and no way I laid it over. Just going by what some of the guys on here have said. I by no means want to take it apart. Just thought that's what I'd have I do to fix it. Been riding the bike for the last few months. I guess I'm just not adjusting it correctly. I don't have a manual, by any chance do you know where I can find one to download (free would be nice). 1978 KZ750B

Thanks for your input. I'm pretty new to the bike machanic work so this forum really helps.

1978 KZ750 Cafe Racer

More
10 Jul 2012 02:29 - 10 Jul 2012 02:30 #534994 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic Clutch push rod 750B twin

steell wrote:

That's what I thought too. Mine was bent and worn so bad the seal leaked, I replaced it with a NOS rod off ebay. Super simple job, pulled old out, push new in.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter
Last edit: 10 Jul 2012 02:30 by damarble.

More
10 Jul 2012 10:13 #535034 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Clutch push rod 750B twin
+1 on what Ed suggested. Not sure about the KZ750 B (a service manual is a must), but on most large KZ's you have a worm gear which the cable pulls which in turn pushes the push rod. The only way I can see for that ball bearing to come out is for you to pull the push rod all the way and the ball bearing happens to be stuck on the end of the push rod (by grease or dirt, etc). Then if you did not notice it, it may have fallen to the ground somewhere. In order to adjust the cable (at least on my 900, but should be somewhat the same on yours. Check the FSM), you need to shorten the cable in the middle all the way. At the lever, adjust the lock nut and the adjuster to leave 1/4" of thread between the two. On the sprocket cover, you have a small compartment you can take off (two screws) to adjust the worm gear. This consists of a lock nut and screw. You loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in until you feel resistance. Then you back off 1/2 a turn and hold the screw while tightening the lock nut. Afterwards, adjust the middle adjuster or lever adjuster on the cable to leave about a 1/16" play at the lever. Now this is going by my bike. I would assume yours should not be too much different. But number one thing to do is get the factory service manual.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
11 Jul 2012 18:55 #535309 by osage
Replied by osage on topic Clutch push rod 750B twin
Cdiver, I'm not sure which site I found a link for a FSM for my B1. It was either kawasaki twin owners forum or kz750.com. I ended up buying a used FSM on Ebay as I wanted better pics.
If you can't find it let me know and I can snail mail it to you.

1976 KZ750B1
1982 KZ750H3