KZ305 Oil drain plug/bolt

More
05 Jul 2012 23:59 - 06 Jul 2012 00:02 #534158 by swmiller944
KZ305 Oil drain plug/bolt was created by swmiller944
Today I undertook the task along with tach seal and air filter. I pulled out the owners manual from under the seat, I have a service manual this was simply closer, and loosed the instructed bolt, the 6 inch bolt which resulted in no oil drainage. Flabbergasted I looked back at my owner's manual and indeed confirmed that I had removed the correct bolt. I compared this against the service manual only to find it directed me to another bolt on the other side of the engine. If any of you would like a picture of the reference in the owners manual I will be happy to provide that, but for the moment I am flummoxed. I finished the oil change, re-tightened the wrong bolt and got it properly snug. I started the bike after all was said and done and moved through the gears and allowed first to engage, on the center stand, all without issue. If anyone has had a similar experience or can provide insight into what exactly I removed and possibly a setting to re-torque it I would be very appreciative. At this point I'm not riding the bike in order to make sure I don't destroy something.

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jul 2012 00:02 by swmiller944.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2012 00:12 #534165 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ305 Oil drain plug/bolt
May use the link in my signature to access kawasaki.com and the oil filter parts diagram.

Am guessing that the mystery bolt might be a drain for the oil filter.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Jul 2012 08:51 #534219 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic KZ305 Oil drain plug/bolt
you removed a case bolt 6" long

did you remove oil filter ?

dont go nuts on these bolts its only alum.

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
06 Jul 2012 14:04 #534263 by swmiller944
Replied by swmiller944 on topic KZ305 Oil drain plug/bolt
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration@patton thanks for the link to diagrams from looking through all I could find was that it's described as an engine bolt part#92002-1059 Bolt.8x140 Crankcase Bolt a quick search for that yields nothing. The bolt is towards the rear and lateral if you move from the oil filter housing/cover. I was careful re-tightening it but I did get it tight, not to the point of stripping or breaking.

One exactly like it.

At this point I'm pretty sure it won't explode I'd just like it to be of some help to the next person who reads the manual :laugh:

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson