has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?

More
05 Jul 2012 02:26 #533944 by fireglass
If you have what can you tell me aboult it? Lance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Jul 2012 02:27 #533946 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?
They have small valves compared to a 900/1000 ,hows that? :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
05 Jul 2012 10:40 #533988 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?
Your Factory Service Manual will have the details/ Specs. But the Tools to do it correctly, will be much more money than sending it to a machinist. Unless you have the tools, or access to them and the knowledge, it would be best to pay a machine shop.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
05 Jul 2012 14:23 #534034 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?
And be sure they know how to set up a shim style motorcycle head. Avoid automotive machine shops.

More
06 Jul 2012 02:54 #534193 by fireglass
Replied by fireglass on topic has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?
Ok so I'm looking for a shop to take my head to,I'm in Eugene.Oregon know of any one thats good and about what it well cost? Thanks Lance

More
06 Jul 2012 17:00 #534287 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?
Why not just box it up and send it to someone who knows what they are doing on these heads.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
06 Jul 2012 17:02 #534288 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?
What Jay said X2

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
06 Jul 2012 21:57 #534347 by Austinroots
Replied by Austinroots on topic has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?
I'm looking for current project. So who is recommened for head machining? And what can one expect the cost to be? Thanks.

1978 Project 650 SR; 2 bikes and never enough time or $
Asheville, NC

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
06 Jul 2012 22:24 #534357 by lemo32
First off...you have to know what you have, is it good or bad? do you have the knowledge to know the difference? example, a low mileage motor might have a head where you could get away with hand lapping the valves back in, where as a high mileage motor might need a complete rebuild, what tools do you have? I use a big c clamp with a rubber piece on the end, 10.00 usd, a piece of pipe with the sides cut out to remove or attach keepers. Setting the head up on its side, pour some solvent into the intakes, is a good start to know where you are, also exaust, if you find solvent leaking around the valve it needs work. Read, learn, and do what you can, farm out what you cant, otherwise bend over and let the motorcycle fleecers get you credit card, or atleast hold your wallet! :laugh:

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
07 Jul 2012 22:07 #534564 by Austinroots
Replied by Austinroots on topic has anyone on here rebuilt there kz 650 head?
Thanks, funny. Haven't even had a chance to look yet all I know is 19k miles and sitting for at least 10 years... I just remember in college my buddy telling me about getting the head ported and polished on his new to him 280Z and how night/day it was sooo... I know little but like to read much.

1978 Project 650 SR; 2 bikes and never enough time or $
Asheville, NC