1982 KZ750 Spectre - secondary shaft plug removal

More
01 Jul 2012 14:37 #533102 by jkb4c
Hello all - picked up a 1982 KZ750 Spectre this week in preparation for a two-week motorcycle trip next spring. The Spectre runs great, but I'm planning on taking the fall and winter of this year to repair any oil leaks, check the valves, change the final drive oil, and catch up on any other preventative maintenance that the previous owners missed.

I'm currently working on an oil leak (the only one I've noticed...) which appears to be originating from the bottom of the secondary shaft plug. Looking at the parts fiche, it seems like I'll need to renew the 46MM O-ring behind the plug, part #670 in this diagram . I have the gear case off, and the top screw securing the plug as well; the bottom screw has stripped, so I'm stuck until I get it extracted.

My question is, once I have that darn screw out, will the plug just pull out/unscrew? (I've already drained the oil, of course). The fiche makes it appear that those two screws are all that hold this plug in.

Thanks for any tips!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2012 14:59 #533107 by Kevin STP
Congrats on the bike.I have an 82 Spectre,finally have it running great and love it.I get comments from lots of people about the KZ's from their past,kinda like when I play some John Prine at a gig,makes people the best of the past. I have to address my final drive lube soon so I am no help but will follow this post for tips.

83 Spectre 750

More
01 Jul 2012 15:31 #533116 by OnkelB

jkb4c wrote:
My question is, once I have that darn screw out, will the plug just pull out/unscrew? (I've already drained the oil, of course). The fiche makes it appear that those two screws are all that hold this plug in.

Yes, when both screws are out the plug (aka secondary shaft bearing cap) should pull right out.
If it's stuck you may have to pry it out with a screwdriver or such (a couple of taps with a rubber mallet/hammer and wooden block could also help), but it isn't threaded, like you say all that holds it in are the two screws.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.