KZ1000J 1135 head gasket question

More
01 Jul 2012 03:34 #532977 by daskraut
KZ1000J 1135 head gasket question was created by daskraut
I am in process of bumping my engine up to an 1135 which uses a big-bore aftermarket head gasket (Cometic) and noted that the gasket is a one piece which will not accomodate the factory o-ring that goes around the cam chain tunnel. I filled that void up with high temp RTV gasket sealer (copper hi-temp) and shaved it flush after drying. Then my plan was to use grey Yamabond type sealer on that same area around the gasket and install. So far, so good. Then as I placed the 4 rubber o-rings around the outside studs, I noted the gasket has small holes that do not accomodate the o-rings!. This is what my plan is. I shaved the o-rings in half so they sit flush in the counterbore of the cylinder and installed them with the same hi-temp copper impregnated RTV silicone. My thinking is this, the o-rings will stay put ad not "migrate" down into the oil return hole and possibly clog the system. Tomorrow when they are dried, I will make sure they sit flush and install the head gasket with a small amount of the Yamabond type sealer around the oil return area on top of the shaved o-ring. Does this sound kosher?

When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2012 14:14 - 01 Jul 2012 14:16 #533094 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic KZ1000J 1135 head gasket question

daskraut wrote: I am in process of bumping my engine up to an 1135 which uses a big-bore aftermarket head gasket (Cometic) and noted that the gasket is a one piece which will not accomodate the factory o-ring that goes around the cam chain tunnel. I filled that void up with high temp RTV gasket sealer (copper hi-temp) and shaved it flush after drying. Then my plan was to use grey Yamabond type sealer on that same area around the gasket and install. So far, so good. Then as I placed the 4 rubber o-rings around the outside studs, I noted the gasket has small holes that do not accomodate the o-rings!. This is what my plan is. I shaved the o-rings in half so they sit flush in the counterbore of the cylinder and installed them with the same hi-temp copper impregnated RTV silicone. My thinking is this, the o-rings will stay put ad not "migrate" down into the oil return hole and possibly clog the system. Tomorrow when they are dried, I will make sure they sit flush and install the head gasket with a small amount of the Yamabond type sealer around the oil return area on top of the shaved o-ring. Does this sound kosher?

That should work. I would use Yamabond to secure the O Rings instead of silicone sealer. Don't gob it all over the place..be neat with it. Put some Yamabond on the top side of the gasket around those same studs and cam chain area. Just a light coating will do the trick.

Fire the bike. Heat cycle it ONE time. Let it get STONE COLD, preferably over night, then torque the head one more time. Check the torque again in 100 and 500 miles.

Larry C.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2012 14:16 by LarryC.

More
01 Jul 2012 14:22 #533099 by daskraut
Replied by daskraut on topic KZ1000J 1135 head gasket question
The silocone sealer I used to "bond" the cut down o-ring seals is RTV hi temp copper impregnated silicone, same stuff I filled the cam chain tunnel groove with. Would it be an advantage to use it instead of the yamabond on the gasket?. Forgive my constant attention to detail Larry, I have been an aerospace mechanic for 30 plus years and sweat the details!.Thanks again for all your help

When in doubt, GAS IT!!

More
01 Jul 2012 17:01 - 01 Jul 2012 17:04 #533138 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic KZ1000J 1135 head gasket question
Might try the 2 piece J model gasket kzzone.com/gaskets.html
Last edit: 01 Jul 2012 17:04 by APE Jay.

More
02 Jul 2012 10:40 #533303 by daskraut
Replied by daskraut on topic KZ1000J 1135 head gasket question
welp, she is assembled, will report in when it has some miles. Jay, next time I will buy it, I did not know ...

When in doubt, GAS IT!!