head gasket oil leak

• redneckcarrow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2012 19:36 #530824 by redneckcarrow
head gasket oil leak was created by redneckcarrow
Ended last riding season with an oil leak, did some checking this past winter and found the valve cover leaking. Changed gasket, put new cam plugs in (re-shimied valves while in there)
got like 300 miles on it since. When I got home the other night, smelt oil again. I did some looking and found the head gasket leaking quite well. Got on Z1 and ordered complete engine gasket set only like $4 more then top end kit. So here is the guestion, can I just go down to the head gasket or do I need to take cylanders off to? I believe the head bolts hold the jugs on to. Really dont want to go that far, can't really afford to have cylanders honed or by new rings if I take them off.

Just looking for everyones opinion, looking to start tearing it apart tomorrow (friday). Don't really want to take it apart a third time.

Thanks guys

1980 kz 550 ltd stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2012 20:15 #530832 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic head gasket oil leak
You can replace the head gasket without disturbing the base gasket. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jun 2012 21:47 - 21 Jun 2012 21:48 #530850 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic head gasket oil leak
92055-1147 is the o-rings for around the pins that line up the head and are an oil galley, this is what leaks. #6 in the parts fiche.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2012 21:48 by Motor Head.

More
21 Jun 2012 22:07 #530858 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic head gasket oil leak
Has the foot powder spray test been done to confirm source of the leak?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Charles Nix
  • User
  • 1981 kz 1000c4
More
21 Jun 2012 22:09 #530859 by Charles Nix
Replied by Charles Nix on topic head gasket oil leak
Redneck, you need to stop with that icon ,is killing me :woohoo: .

• redneckcarrow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2012 11:28 #530993 by redneckcarrow
Replied by redneckcarrow on topic head gasket oil leak
RONKZ650 THANKS I thought you could but wanted second apinion

motor head yea head read about the rings changing them to

patton dont need powder test leaking that bad but will double check

thanks charles nix

1980 kz 550 ltd stock

More
22 Jun 2012 12:55 #531012 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic head gasket oil leak

redneckcarrow wrote: ...dont need powder test leaking that bad but will double check..../quote]

May be able to confirm the leaking head gasket diagnosis with a compression test, or by injecting compressed air into the spark plug hole to see whether air escapes through a leaking head gasket.

A leaking head gasket is often misdiagnosed as the source of an oil leak, which may actually result from cam cover gasket, cam end plug, tach drive, exhaust port (loose clamp, leaking gasket, etc.) , oil cooler hose fitting, etc.

And usually the causes other than leaking head gasket are easier to correct.
Just hoping for a more simple and perhaps less expensive solution.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• redneckcarrow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2012 22:10 #532703 by redneckcarrow
Replied by redneckcarrow on topic head gasket oil leak
sorry for long wait for reply

Patton had allready changed cam cover gasket put new cam end plugs in it and the seal on the tach drive becouse thay were leaking earlyer this spring

this oil leak was coming from left front side (sitting on bike) got head off gasket seamed fine but the little rubber ring on that side had split in it looks like ben thair a long while so hopping now that it won't leak anymore

did find a couple other problems while taking carbs off (first time off bike for me) one air in let boot was split the whole length of it and another one was so hard that it broke trying to take off so replaced all 4

then i did finally got carbs out (know why peaple hate the air boxes so bad now) found one of the intake boots rolled in so the carb wasn't actually in the boot but on good not they were nice and soft like someone had replaced them fairly resent so re used them made shure carbs went in them bike now idles much better now

1980 kz 550 ltd stock