78kz220a ignition timing help PLEASE!!

More
21 Jun 2012 16:44 #530786 by Dodson
so im and going to buy a 78 kz 200a from a friend. it will start sometimes but either has a really high rev, and you can give it gas and it will accelerate, or it will have a really low idel and when you try to give it gas it dies, also, when at a high rev and you go into 1st it will go to a low idel and not take off and die. i have changed the plug pulled apart the carb and soaked and cleaned it, fuses are good i have compression and spark and it is a hard start but starts after like 10 kicks. and then will die out from tinkering and then is a pain in the ass. so my friend has been playing with the carb as well as the timing points. i was wondering if anyone could give me tips on where to start with the timing as well as with the carb, I live in colorful colorado so i am over 5200 feet. i was wonderingabout jets and needles but can really find any expert advise. and help would be amazing!!! i cant wait to get onthe road fiiinally!!!! thank you in advance. Dodson

TigerKiller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2012 21:29 #530843 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 78kz220a ignition timing help PLEASE!!
Hello, Dodson, and WELCOME to KZrider! :cheer:

Would start by checking valve clearances, and adjusting them if necessary, to specs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.