oil control rings, 3pc. versus 1pc.

More
16 Jun 2012 23:20 #529716 by Tomolu5
oil control rings, 3pc. versus 1pc. was created by Tomolu5
Looking for opinions here, just got all my end gaps checked out on my new rings, and the new set is the familiar 3 Peice set up, and stock was a one Peice oil ring. The stock ones acctually have a tighter gap than the new ones, about 14thou versus an avg of 18 on the new one(both within factory spec). I had trouble with the three Peice rings on the first go-round (installer error). Thinking about re-using the stock one for simplicities sake, and it seems much more stout.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Jun 2012 01:22 #529754 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic oil control rings, 3pc. versus 1pc.
One advantage of the three piece ring, is two gaps that can, and need to be staggered. Also there are two thin rings which have a better chance of following any cylinder distortion. Three piece is a better design in my view.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.