Replacing exhaust on Kz650

More
16 Jun 2012 17:34 #529632 by reborn650
Replacing exhaust on Kz650 was created by reborn650
Hey Gang. I am looking to replace the MAC header pipe on my 650/810. Had an old black Yoshi years ago but want to stick with a chrome finish.

My MAC pipe didn't hold up its finish very well on the pipes connected to the head but the collector still looks greats. Saw the Vance & Hines on a site and would like to know about the chrome quality as I have heard mixed reviews.

It would be cool to use the factory exhaust collars and I didn't see the flanges on the pic of the V & H pipe so I am not sure if the factory collars are an option on this pipe.

Any suggestions on options?

Cheers-Colin

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2012 19:07 #529671 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Replacing exhaust on Kz650
The original Kawasaki pipes are dual walled (a pipe in a pipe) so the outer pipe that has the chrome finish is somewhat shielded from the intense heat of teh exhaust near the cylinder head. These pipes do not turn blue unless the engine is WAAAY out of tune and running far too hot. Aftermarket pipes are usually single walled. Their chrome will normally turn blue near the cylinder head fairly quickly. There's not much that can be done to prevent this from happening. I don't believe it is related to the quality of the chrome; it has more to do with the temperature at which chrome turns yellow or blue. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.