switch to vac petcock

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
16 Jun 2012 10:05 #529552 by Proxy
switch to vac petcock was created by Proxy
Thinking of switching from manual to vac petcock. Is is OK to use one of the manometer nipples to get the vac used for the petcock? Will this work? Is that where they normally get the vac from? Is there intelligent life in space? How about here on earth?

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2012 10:34 - 23 Feb 2013 16:13 #529559 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 16:13 by martin_csr.

More
16 Jun 2012 10:51 - 16 Jun 2012 10:52 #529560 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic switch to vac petcock

Proxy wrote: Thinking of switching from manual to vac petcock. Is is OK to use one of the manometer nipples to get the vac used for the petcock? Will this work? Is that where they normally get the vac from? Is there intelligent life in space? How about here on earth?

Is is OK to use one of the manometer nipples to get the vac used for the petcock? YES.

Will this work? YES.

Is that where they normally get the vac from? YES.
Some carbs have a 5th dedicated vacuum nipple (sometimes confused with a vent nipple), but doubting that stock carbs on bike with stock manual petcock would have been provided with a capped 5th vacuum nipple.

Is there intelligent life in space? Only KZr member "gearhead" knows for certain.

How about here on earth? YES, such as OMR and Wireman.
Oh ... Wait! You said intelligent. Strike that.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Jun 2012 10:52 by Patton.

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
16 Jun 2012 14:29 #529598 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic switch to vac petcock
Yes, more info on the bike would have helped. It's a 1977 KZ650B1. So no CV carbs. Thanks anyway Martin I was too lazy to look as I also have a CSR with CV's and a vac petcock. Gotta hand it to you that you always are quick to help. Nice job. Thanks for the help Patton (you are also very helpful here). I had a brand new vac petcock still in the box and my manual one was pretty worn out. I had to get the large screening tower off of it and install a plain tube in one of the holes with a filter on it. But mt reserve hole is too small for a normal filter. I might have to rely on an inline for the reserve and just leave the hole open. I have to look because I think a Suzuki filter may be smaller and I may have a few around. But the petcock matches otherwise. Thanks for the help guys. Pics will follow soon.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
16 Jun 2012 18:00 - 16 Jun 2012 18:01 #529639 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic switch to vac petcock

Proxy wrote: ...no CV carbs....

Information in the above posts regarding vacuum supplied from carbs to a vacuum operated petcock applies equally as well to both manual slide carbs and CV carbs.

The vacuum petcock doesn't care where the vacuum comes from, or whether the carbs are manual slide or CV.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Jun 2012 18:01 by Patton.