Virtually zero power below 3000 rpm when cold

More
21 Jun 2012 05:15 #530701 by faffi
After first measuring valve clearance several times and then doing the math - and checking it over now after the job is done - two settings slightly missed the boat.

My goal was to have more than 0.15mm of clearance but less than 0.20 (or between 0.006 and 0.008"). I managed that on 6 valves. One was tighter, one roomier.

The only reason I can think of that would make one tighter is that I must have mixed up which had zero clearance and which had less than zero somehow. Especially since I ignored the procedure of measuring clearances in the specified position, instead just measuring when any lobe pointed roughly upwards.

Surprisingly, the clearance is at its greatest when the piston is at TDC, because my 0.10mm feeler fits easily in the correct position on this particular valve, but not in any other position. This further suggests that I messed up making notes about zero and under zero clearances.

The one with now, according to feel, slightly more than 0.20 mm (limit according to Kawasaki is 0.18mm) likely comes from the same thing as described above; failure to measure at the correct point.

Still, there's no chance I will do it over again with the first. With normal running - we rarely see days above 20C / 68F and I will normally not consider riding on the very rare occasions that temps climb past 28C / 83F plus I do not run at high rpm over time - this engine will do fine with clearances between 0.03 and 0.3 mm without any risk of damage.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2012 04:26 #531815 by faffi
NEW ENGINE!

After adjusting the valves, the engine starts readily and can be ridden sans choke almost immediately afterwards, although it needs a mile or so on a chilly day to pull properly below 3000 rpm. Even when warm, there is a clear pickup point around 3200 rpm where the engine starts to pull more eagerly, but it will also pull from an indicated 1700 rpm (which I presume is around 1500 accurate) in top gear even up inclines without protest and accelerate easily from such low rpm.

Idle speed went from 1100 to 1500 rpm from adjusting the valves only. The engine definitely have more power than before at every rpm. It's still no powerhouse, but it's more than sufficient for my needs and virtually all riding can be done in 5th gear. It will also rev right past the 9k rpm redline if asked, but then again the tacho is optimistic.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.