Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?

• AaronOregon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live Hard, Ride Free
More
15 Jun 2012 02:06 #529239 by AaronOregon
Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed? was created by AaronOregon
Should you shoot for the middle of the allowed tolerance or the minimum or maximum. It is better if they are looser in the long run right? Thanks!

Aaron

1980 KZ750E - Pods - 4 into 1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2012 02:42 #529240 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?
middle to maximum gap, never the minimum.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jun 2012 08:47 #529266 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?

bountyhunter wrote: middle to maximum gap, never the minimum.

+1

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• AaronOregon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live Hard, Ride Free
More
15 Jun 2012 11:13 #529291 by AaronOregon
Replied by AaronOregon on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?
Thanks guys!

1980 KZ750E - Pods - 4 into 1

More
15 Jun 2012 11:18 #529293 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?
Middle to max.
Smaller gaps reduces the impact of valves on seats so I shoot for middle, but if that's not possible, then I err on larger side.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Jun 2012 11:49 #529302 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?
I try and aim for tigher end of scale for intakes since they dont expand nearly as much as exhuast valves,exhuast valves I run just a tad looser than the middle range to allow for expansion of valves B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
15 Jun 2012 14:44 #529324 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?
Always the maximum tolerance. These valves always loose clearance as they run. If you set them to the middle or the minimum they will be out of spec sooner.

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

More
15 Jun 2012 18:06 - 15 Jun 2012 18:06 #529368 by 650ed

893cv wrote: Always the maximum tolerance. These valves always loose clearance as they run. If you set them to the middle or the minimum they will be out of spec sooner.

This is true for for many but not all KZ's. I've seen this written many times, so I understand that it must often be the case, but that has not been the case on my KZ650 engine. I've tracked the valve clearances on my engine since it was new (April, 1977), and over the past 52,000 miles the clearances have changed slightly but they have never moved out of spec. I have only adjusted 1 valve in all that time (at 500 miles) and that was because from the factory the #1 intake valve was set right at the extreme lose limit. Overall my valve clearances are now 1 to 2 1000's of an inch loser than when the bike was delivered. They started life at .004" (including #1 intake after I adjusted it) and now they are at .005 - .006" Strange but true. Ed

Last edit: 15 Jun 2012 18:06 by 650ed.

More
15 Jun 2012 19:01 #529398 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?
An average of 1500 miles pro annum. Man, at this rate it will pass 100k in about 32 years already and you may have to consider the first overhaul ;)

Valve clearance change due to wear and/or carbon build-up. Where wear appear (the most) dictate whether clearance increase or decrease. If the cam lobe and/or shim retainer wear more than the valve seats - valve head and/or cylinder head - clearance will grow. And in extreme cases carbon can build up so heavily on the upper side of the valve heads that they are prevented from closing fully, again increasing valve clearance. Not likely on Ed's bike. Instead, chances are that his valve seats are perfect and that the cam lobes have worn minutely. Just how sturdy these engines are is shown by the fact that no adjustment has been required in 52k miles from wear. It also indicates a man taking well care of his engine, both when it comes to oil changes, how it's used when cold and that it's not abused under any circumstance.

Sensible people usually have the best engines B)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Jun 2012 19:29 #529408 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?

faffi wrote: An average of 1500 miles pro annum. Man, at this rate it will pass 100k in about 32 years already and you may have to consider the first overhaul ;)

Valve clearance change due to wear and/or carbon build-up. Where wear appear (the most) dictate whether clearance increase or decrease. If the cam lobe and/or shim retainer wear more than the valve seats - valve head and/or cylinder head - clearance will grow. And in extreme cases carbon can build up so heavily on the upper side of the valve heads that they are prevented from closing fully, again increasing valve clearance. Not likely on Ed's bike. Instead, chances are that his valve seats are perfect and that the cam lobes have worn minutely. Just how sturdy these engines are is shown by the fact that no adjustment has been required in 52k miles from wear. It also indicates a man taking well care of his engine, both when it comes to oil changes, how it's used when cold and that it's not abused under any circumstance.

Sensible people usually have the best engines B)

Sensable people drive volvos,this is a kaw forum we're nuts in general! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
15 Jun 2012 19:34 #529411 by 650ed
I have to admit, I've been called a lot of things (unfortunately, most of them richly deserved) but never sensible. :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
16 Jun 2012 05:38 #529526 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Adjust valves to middle tolerance allowed?

wireman wrote: Sensible people usually have the best engines B)

Sensable people drive volvos,this is a kaw forum we're nuts in general! :woohoo:[/quote]

I drive a Volvo :blush:

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition