Orientation of the flywheel (rotor). HELP ME.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's better in the wind.
More
11 Jun 2012 17:10 #528212 by Hatchet
Hi guys.

First of all, I am not a mechanic. In fact, I don't even pretend to know what I am doing. So please keep the mockery to a minimum. :whistle:

I've been narrowing down potential starting problems on my '83 KZ750 LTD K1, and one thing that I suspect is really amiss is the flywheel, or alternator rotor as some call it.

This got messed up when I took apart the generator side of the motor to remove the electric starter chain. When I was pulling the chain off, in my stupidity I moved the flywheel to the right a bit. Bike's never been the same since.

As of now, the rotor spins freely to the left. When turned to the right it gives resistance and makes a soft compressed air hiss sound, and it clearly is turning the engine over, despite what others have tried to tell me. I can actually see a component of the engine that moves inside the crankcase when I do this, so I know that this is causing some sort of piston movement.

Here is a picture of the area. As you can see, the flywheel has no timing marks on it, only a large hole on one side and three small divots on the other.

I know that this thing is messed up. Now, how do I go about making it right again? Where do I go from here? I'm lost without any direction.

I appreciate the patience and help in face of my idiocy. I'm learning.

Bikers are a rare breed.
Harley riders are a dime a dozen.

'83 KZ750 LTD K1. "Don't make me get the belt..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 17:19 - 11 Jun 2012 17:19 #528214 by Hatchet
Replied by Hatchet on topic Orientation of the flywheel (rotor). HELP ME.
*EDIT* My bad, there's actually two holes on opposite sides of the wheel. These are for, I guess, the rotor puller to fit onto...

I can supply more photos if needed.

Bikers are a rare breed.

Last edit: 11 Jun 2012 17:19 by Hatchet.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Jun 2012 18:01 #528224 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Orientation of the flywheel (rotor). HELP ME.
The Rotor is a taped fit, with no Keyway. It just presses on with the Torque of the bolt. There is No alignment mark or timing for the Rotor.
So it has the 1 way sprag clutch for the starter gear on the back, which will only turn the motor in 1 direction and freewheel in the opposite.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 18:14 #528230 by Hatchet
Okay, that makes sense.

However, I know that I'm turning the motor in one direction or another when I'm messing with this thing, and I'm pretty sure the cycle is messed up because of that. Since there are no timing marks, and the rotor's actual alignment doesn't matter, how can I be certain that my engine is in the proper position?

See that small hole to the left of the rotor in the picture I posted? When I turn the wheel, I can see a component through that hole moving up and down.

Bikers are a rare breed.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 18:17 #528232 by Motor Head
Its just a tappered fit, the rotor makes ACV. It doesn't get set to anything. It just presses on, with the bolt. You may see in side of your transmission, don't fret it, just make sure the thing is torqued up tight. It can come loose on the taper, then it will slip, and you will have no charging for your electrical. Also the Starter clutch won't work etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 18:31 #528241 by Hatchet
I don't think you understand what I'm trying to get at. My problem is not with actual fitment - it's on there pretty darn good. In fact the problem is not with the actual flywheel at all but rather what it connects to.

My concern is that I'm turning this rotor, and I'm turning over the engine while doing it. I can see this with my own two eyes. When I spin the rotor the visible part of the transmission moves along with it and I am re positioning said part at a certain point in it's revolution. So now my pistons and other parts are at different places then they were before, and I can't start the bike. When I try, I get kick-back. I need to figure out how to get everything back to top-dead-center or whatever position is required.

Thanks for your replies Motorhead, this is the second time you've helped me out and I always appreciate your patience and knowledge.

Bikers are a rare breed.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 18:36 #528245 by Motor Head
The Rotor won't effect the engines spark timing. It has a pick-up coil for the spark on the Right side of the cylinder head. Its under a small cover there.
If the Rotor was to have an effect and need to be timed to other components of the engine it would have a Keyway, along with the tapped fit. So then it could only go on in one spot. This is the case with other engines, which have a different electrical system than your Kaw.

• Hatchet
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 18:44 #528252 by Hatchet
Alright, I'll take your word for it, then. Guess the problem must be somewhere else. I'll put her back together and keep looking.

Thansk for your constant help, Motorhead. I appreciate it.

Bikers are a rare breed.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
11 Jun 2012 18:48 #528255 by Motor Head
What you are wanting to check, is two things. The Camshaft to Crankshaft mechanical timing, and the spark timing. The spark timing, like I said is controlled by the pick-up on the right side of the cylinder head. This small cover, and the cover on the right end of the crankshaft, will have the engine timing marks. It could be that the mechanical spark advancer is stuck, in the full advance position. That would make it Kick Back.

More
11 Jun 2012 18:51 #528256 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Orientation of the flywheel (rotor). HELP ME.
The "timing" rotor is on the other side of the engine behind the small cover where the points are. If you took that advancer assembly off the end of the shaft, it can go back on 180 degrees off. It's a 50-50 chance of getting it back on wrong but it goes on wrong about 99% of the time.....

1979 KZ-750 Twin