funky noise

• nitrochristian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2012 20:26 #528029 by nitrochristian
funky noise was created by nitrochristian
ok guys, got a question i finally got the bike a 78, kz650 back together enough to try to start it. got it wired and when i hit the starter it fired up then died so i hit it again and it ran longer but the starter sounded like it was not completley meshing, now it makes a grinding, skipping sound i took it out and tested the starter by its self it spun good but when i put it back in it doesnt engage long enough to start and sometimes it wont engauge at all. what do you guys think starter or starter clutch plz let me know soon. I don get much time off to work on it so the sooner the better and if the starter clutch can i do it in frame, i had the cases split and it took a while to get it all back together so i really hope i dont have to go that far again. one more thing after all the work it sure felt great to hear it run. i did a complete tear down, and the only thing i didnt do my self was the bore job. i also have gpz 750 cams installed and more goodies thanks guys. Thats my wife sittin on the bike the engine is all thats complete.

Attachment nopaintbutdanimakesitlookgood.jpg not found

78 KZ650
96 Ford Bronco
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2012 22:39 #528054 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic funky noise
Here's some useful starter clutch info:

forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=5152.0

Also, be sure to take a look at the link in the first page of this posting; it gives great info!:

forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=2482.0

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Jun 2012 23:01 #528059 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic funky noise
My old '82 KZ750 made that sound too, it was the starter clutch slipping. Fortunately mine never got bad enough to have to tear into the engine.

If you look in the KZR filebase under the "unspecified years" section, there's an article on page 5/8 about repairing the starter clutch while still on the frame. Could be the same as Ed's second link....not sure.

Good Luck. Looks like you already have plenty of help :)