Suggestions for Deeper Exhaust

More
08 Jun 2012 22:40 #527732 by Moshua
Suggestions for Deeper Exhaust was created by Moshua
I have a 78 kz200 any suggestions to get a lower note sound from the exhaust i don't really want to be riding around with a lawnmower sound coming out of my exhaust. and is bigger better in terms of exhaust? Hot exhaust is approximately 4 times the original volume when it entered the bike. can i just weld on a stepped up exhaust? or would a longer/shorter exhaust bring out more of the lows in its tone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2012 22:55 #527738 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Suggestions for Deeper Exhaust
Exhaust systems are designed specifically for the engine to which they attach. They must provide certain flow/back pressure/scavenging characteristics for the engine to breath properly, and these are the primary characteristics considered when the exhaust systems are being engineered. They are engineered by the motorcycle company rather that by Steinway & Sons, C. F. Martin, or Bose; consequently, they are more about performance than tone or pitch. I would respectfully suggest that a 200cc engine is not going to give out a deep mighty roar with any exhaust system that works well. Even if you were to remove the entire exhaust system and let the exhaust blow into the atmosphere directly from the cylinder head (not a good idea) it will not sound like a V8. I suspect that modifying your exhaust system will result in performance issues. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Jun 2012 23:46 #527751 by Moshua
Replied by Moshua on topic Suggestions for Deeper Exhaust
i understand that not specifically looking to have the sounds of a bigger motor but specifically a better tone from a low cc bike. does the baffle inside the exhaust change pitch?