What Kind of Sealant/Adhesive to Use?

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
07 Jun 2012 10:59 #527458 by PaulyWally
What Kind of Sealant/Adhesive to Use? was created by PaulyWally
I am replacing the stator cover on my '76 KZ750. The stator and coil are mounted to the cover. So I am transferring the old stator and coil to the new (used) cover. The stator and coil wires run through two rubber gromets. The rubber gromets mount into a slot in the stator cover. When I disassembled, those gromets were bonded together, and into the slot in the aluminum stator cover with some type of adhesive (it was beige in color - and I'm sure it was factory).

My question is, what is going to be a suitable adhesive/sealant to re-assemble those gromets into the stator cover? They need to be bonded to the aluminum, and also to each other (they are butt-jointed on one side).

I went to the auto parts store and explained all this to the "knowledgable staff". They gave me a tube of Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker (the stuff itself is red). To insure it would bond rubber to rubber, I tested it on some rubber gromets I had laying around. That was 24 hours ago and it hasn't hardened one bit. So I really don't see how this is going to do the type of bonding that is needed for this job.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1976 KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
07 Jun 2012 11:39 #527463 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic What Kind of Sealant/Adhesive to Use?
I don't think you want it to get hard, :dry: this is what I used on my stator cover grommet and it's holding up good so far.

Make sure you clean the grommets and wires real good first and pull the wires out to get the hidden oil, then after they're dry coat them with your sealant and pull them back into the grommets and dope it up real good.
Don't forget to buy a new gasket for the cover.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
07 Jun 2012 14:55 - 07 Jun 2012 14:56 #527490 by PaulyWally
Replied by PaulyWally on topic What Kind of Sealant/Adhesive to Use?

bluej58 wrote: I don't think you want it to get hard

No... I didn't mean that I want it to get hard. I know it has to remain flexible. I only meant that the Gasket Maker that was sold to me is not bonding the rubber gromets together. At all. After 24 hours in open air, there is still virtually zero tackiness. They could fall apart on their own, without even being pulled apart.

Thanks for all the input!

1976 KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Jun 2012 14:56 by PaulyWally.

More
07 Jun 2012 16:10 #527497 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic What Kind of Sealant/Adhesive to Use?
That Ultra Black is very good stuff, Used it for my rebuild on all kinds of gaskets.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Jun 2012 16:55 - 07 Jun 2012 22:17 #527504 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic What Kind of Sealant/Adhesive to Use?
i use Permatex Ultra black rtv silicone on most things. as long as u understand the pros and cons it works well.
the reason i like it so much is that its easy to remove . if u r the kind of guy that has covers and things off a lot you will appreciate that. u can usually re-use the gaskets if u use this suff. the down side is that u need to pay attention to how much u put on. if u gob it on and tighten the covers, it will squeeze out on both sides(inside and outside the motor). i have heard reports of guys finding bits if the silicone on the oil pump screen.
i love that the tube has a long thin cone type tip. i can cut it to produce a thin1/16" film on the parts. when i'm done i don’t recap it. i just squeeze out about a 1/2" of silicone and let it drop down to the cap, then let it dry. when i need it again, i just pull this 1/2" piece off and i'm good to go.
if i have a gasket that wants to squeeze out, i put a thin coat of sealer on , then just snug the bolts up so it wont squeeze out. then i will let it dry overnight before tightening the bolts up properly.

I like Yamabond or 3 bond too, Lots of guys use and love this stuff. I do too, but not as much as Permatex for gaskets.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 07 Jun 2012 22:17 by mark1122.

More
07 Jun 2012 21:28 #527551 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What Kind of Sealant/Adhesive to Use?

PaulyWally wrote: ...Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker... (the stuff itself is red). To insure it would bond rubber to rubber, I tested it on some rubber gromets I had laying around. That was 24 hours ago and it hasn't hardened one bit. So I really don't see how this is going to do the type of bonding that is needed for this job....

Am thinking "anaerobic" means it does not cure in the presence of air.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jun 2012 21:49 - 07 Jun 2012 21:51 #527556 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic What Kind of Sealant/Adhesive to Use?
The red stuff is used in place of gaskets. It works very well on my bike never hardens, never leaks and cleans off easily. I would also recommend the RTV black for what you are doing. Something like Yama-bond is probably what was originally used. They sell it at the Yamaha dealer.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Last edit: 07 Jun 2012 21:51 by kaw-a-holic.