getting lower cylinder head off kz400b engine

More
05 Jun 2012 19:32 - 05 Jun 2012 19:35 #527100 by strang

been stripping the top end of this engine as part of a kz400b rebuild.

have got to this point:

ie. the upper head is off and I now need to lift the lower section off so I can take a look at the state of the pistons.
The workshop manual mentions using a screwdriver into small cut at the bottom of the head to wedge it away from the crank case. I tried this a little but no luck and I don't want to chip the casings. Any other suggestions? Thought about heating it up a bit with a hairdryer? Maybe blow air on the outside and maybe a bit directed inside as well to try to warm up the sealing compound that was used? It looks as if there isn't a gasket on the lower section but I could be wrong.
Anyway it's gone pretty smooth so far but this step has got me worried - any suggestions very welcome.

kz1000 police bike
kz400b cafe racer/brat bike project
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 19:35 by strang.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2012 20:11 #527110 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic getting lower cylinder head off kz400b engine
Gentle, I repeat Gentle taps with a rubber mallet did the trick on my 900. Wouldn't recommend hitting any of the "deeper" cooling fins for fear of breaking them.

cheers
Tom

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.