white smoke pouring from exhaust

More
05 Jun 2012 10:29 - 05 Jun 2012 11:34 #527032 by wvboy
white smoke pouring from exhaust was created by wvboy
New guy here. I've been pouring through old posts, but couldn't find an answer so i figured it was time for my first post. First a little background on my bike... I purchased an 81 KZ650 CSR, which had the carbs and tank removed by the PO and according to him the bike ran when he first bought it, but quit running soon thereafter.

What i've done so far:
-checked valve clearances
-installed new plugs
-bought a "new" set of VM24 carbs (a mangled set of VM22's came in a box with the bike)
-checked float bowl settings on new carbs and installed with factory airbox & new filter
-drained ~7.5 quarts of oil from the bike (correct amount is 3.7 qts)!! :( filled to correct level w/ new filter

Next I attached a 3 foot section of fuel hose with inline filter and filled the carbs. After cranking for some time i finally got it started. The motor idled fine and the throttle response was good, but after 30-45 seconds white smoke started pouring out the r/h exhaust. I let it run for a minute before i was smoked out of my garage and had to shut it down. I started the bike again a few days later with the same result.

Could this smoke be from the excessive amount of oil that was in the bike? Could that much oil have ruined something in the engine?

What should I do next?

thanks in advance!

1981 KZ650 H1 CSR
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 11:34 by wvboy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2012 10:43 #527035 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic white smoke pouring from exhaust
Sounds like the previous owner just kept pouring oil into the engine until it ran out of the filler cap hole. I would take the bike out and ride it. It may just have a bunch of oil pumped into the exhaust system and when the pipes get hot enough it starts smoking. Riding it may help blow it out. If it doesn't stop smoking after 5 or 10 miles do a compression check. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Jun 2012 11:30 #527041 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic white smoke pouring from exhaust
ditto ed.just got a goldwing did the same thing.takes forever to burn it out.this is how i fixed mine ,dident want to wait for it to burn out lol. :evil:

Attachment goldwingpipes020.jpg not found

Attachment goldwingpipes022.jpg not found

Attachments: