How much for ignition timing and normaltuneup?

More
03 Jun 2012 16:48 #526617 by ldizzle
hey guys- how much do you guys normally pay out for a tune up at a kaw dlr?

Are there better options? Possibly valves done...

I also need my timing set up correctly...

any help is great!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Jun 2012 19:31 #526631 by wireman
Find a shop manual and do it yourself,not that hard and much cheaper than the dealer crooks even if you have to buy some tools. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Jun 2012 19:31 - 03 Jun 2012 19:40 #526632 by wireman
Find a shop manual and do it yourself,not that hard and much cheaper than the dealer crooks even if you have to buy some tools. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2012 19:40 by wireman.

More
03 Jun 2012 19:40 #526636 by 650ed
I've always done my own since the bike was new; it's easy on a KZ650 except the shims which thankfully very rarely need adjusting. I suppose the price will vary depending on whether you have a Honda S-90, a Harley Ultra-Glide, or a Ducati 750-SS. Which of those are you riding? ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 Jun 2012 22:37 #526667 by Jonny
+1 to the above

Very likely shouldn't cost you much more than the price of a factory manual, some basic tools if you haven't got them, and probably a timing light. Perhaps some new plugs and an air filter etc...

Plus, the cost of those investments gets spread out over the entire time you own the bike. Much better investment than paying someone who probably knows less about these old bikes than the gurus here about these old bikes to work on it anyway. Not to mention the feeling of accomplishment when all is said and done.

Work it out, and the cost of a few tune ups at the dealer will be so much more than your investment. The difference leaves a lot than can go towards beers, goodies for the bike etc...

Cheers,

Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

More
03 Jun 2012 22:51 #526672 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic How much for ignition timing and normaltuneup?

ldizzle wrote: hey guys- how much do you guys normally pay out for a tune up at a kaw dlr?

I wouldn't go to a dealer if you put a gun to my head. With dealers around here, you estimate cost by:

Figure out what a fair price would be

Add 50% markup

add tax

Then DOUBLE that

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
03 Jun 2012 23:32 - 03 Jun 2012 23:33 #526683 by badrhino
Replied by badrhino on topic How much for ignition timing and normaltuneup?
Do it yourself. It's a learning experience and way cheaper. Dealers are ridiculous. I was going to get shims from a dealer a 1/2 hr away and they wanted around $9 a shim plus one of your shims. It would have cost me around $25-30 bucks including gas, so I ordered mine from Z1E and paid around $20 and they were here in two days.

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!
Last edit: 03 Jun 2012 23:33 by badrhino.

More
04 Jun 2012 13:30 #526793 by ldizzle
Awesome response- thanks.
I apologize for not posing the bike: 1982 750LTD. About 19500 miles on it. Acting like the timing is off- random misfires and poor performance at certain rpm- checked for leaks, carbs, etc-

Is setting the timing difficult? I have a clymer manual.

I also heard valves on these bikes are terribleee

Thanks