Need to adjust valves. How?

• old_skool_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Woot Woot
More
31 May 2012 09:17 #526069 by old_skool_77
Need to adjust valves. How? was created by old_skool_77
I have a 1980 kz1000 ltd b. I got some pinging noise coming from the engine when I get on the throttle but nothin at idle or cruising speed. Have been told this may be a valve not closing properly. Don't know exactly how to adjust the valves but I am mechanically able to do so. Any input on how and if I should try this at home or should I have it done by a pro? Also have open kerker and pod filters and accel ignition and coils. I don't if I should put the baffling back in the pipe or is it ok to run without. Don't know if any of this would affect the overall performance of the engine over time. Maybe this is why I havin a valve issue? Any insight to my delima will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

1975 z1 900
1976 kz 900
1977kz 1000
1980kz 1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2012 10:58 #526085 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need to adjust valves. How?

old_skool_77 wrote: I have a 1980 kz1000 ltd b. I got some pinging noise coming from the engine when I get on the throttle but nothin at idle or cruising speed. Have been told this may be a valve not closing properly. Don't know exactly how to adjust the valves but I am mechanically able to do so. Any input on how and if I should try this at home or should I have it done by a pro? Also have open kerker and pod filters and accel ignition and coils. I don't if I should put the baffling back in the pipe or is it ok to run without. Don't know if any of this would affect the overall performance of the engine over time. Maybe this is why I havin a valve issue? Any insight to my delima will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Per FSM, would suspect : ignition timing; spark plug gap or heat range; fuel quality; carbon build-up; fuel/air mixture; air leak; fuel level; main jet .

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.