4-1 exhaust install

More
30 May 2012 23:25 - 30 May 2012 23:25 #526002 by PtownSLUG
4-1 exhaust install was created by PtownSLUG
I picked up a 4 into 1 exhaust header off craigslist for my kz550. Not sure of the brand but looking at pictures of every 4-1 for my bike it looks very much like it may be from a Motad setup.

Anyhow, the four down tubes do not come welded on to a collector as one single piece like most systems do. I have four down tubes and a collector that they all fit into. My problem is I'm not sure how I'm supposed to connect it all. I mean, I know where each piece goes but they just slide right in and there aren't any clamps to tighten the down tubes to the collector, except for on one tube. There's no room to fit other clamps either. I was thinking at first I would fit it all together first and then weld the tubes on but that wouldn't work because once I weld the first couple of tubes in I wouldn't be able to weld the others all the way around as I would only be able to reach the outside part.

I had a friend suggest using some kind of exhaust cement on the ends of the down tubes before inserting them into the collector. Another friend suggested that simply sliding them in the collector without sealing it would be fine. Anyone have experience with this?

81 GPz 550
Last edit: 30 May 2012 23:25 by PtownSLUG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2012 03:09 - 31 May 2012 03:11 #526047 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 4-1 exhaust install
There is a sealer for exhaust headers, I never tried it. I do know that the tubes leak a little if not sealed (on mine) even though it has clamps. I wish I had sealed them.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 31 May 2012 03:11 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PtownSLUG

More
05 May 2013 13:48 #585786 by lightitup
Replied by lightitup on topic 4-1 exhaust install
i know this is a really old post but if you did want to wield them you could tack them together and then pull them off to finish going around. hope what ever you ended up doing worked out

81 kz 550 ltd