Should I rebuild the tranny on my new KZ1000P?

More
30 May 2012 13:48 #525879 by markplease
I just bought a year 2000 KZ1000P with 39,000 miles on it for 2500 bucks. It needs a new clutch and the transmission needs to be looked at. Should I take into a shop for an initial diagnosis? Or, should I buy a manual and start wrenching on this thing myself? If so, what is the best manual to buy? Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
30 May 2012 14:27 #525886 by TomW

markplease wrote: I just bought a year 2000 KZ1000P with 39,000 miles on it for 2500 bucks. It needs a new clutch and the transmission needs to be looked at. Should I take into a shop for an initial diagnosis? Or, should I buy a manual and start wrenching on this thing myself? If so, what is the best manual to buy? Thanks

Forget the dealers. Maybe an independent shop if you have a lot of money. My M.O. is buy the factory service manual and dig into it. These motors are pretty simple as motors go and there is all the help in the world right here. If you have done any wrenching successfully in the past you should have little trouble. You'll need tools. The usual wrenches, screw drivers, hammers etc. plus some measuring tools. 1"-3" outside micrometers, dial or digital vernier calipers, bore gauge or telescoping gauges if you do cylinder work and the knowledge to use them.

The clutch is easy. The engine needs to come out to do the transmission. A lift or a 2' or so high table to put the bike on and a method to get it up there will make the job a lot easier than working on the floor with the bike on the center stand. A place inside is pretty much a must also. What are the symptoms in the clutch and tranny? Maybe just need some adjustments. Good luck and have fun.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
30 May 2012 14:49 #525892 by markplease
Replied by markplease on topic Should I rebuild the tranny on my new KZ1000P?
The clutch slipps when you roll back on the throttle, the motor revs up, giving it the sound like if it were a centrifugal clutch. The transmission doesn't want to shift into second, it hangs up in neutral, so it takes me several tries shifting from 1st to 2nd before it actually engages in 2nd gear. There is also an oil leak coming from the top end of the motor when it's running.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
30 May 2012 15:43 #525901 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Should I rebuild the tranny on my new KZ1000P?
try replacing your clutch and adjusting the clutch first, if it only fixes the slip than your not out anything. i bet its just out of adjustment and when you replace the oil make sure you use oil without friction modifiers., chris

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
30 May 2012 19:51 #525952 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Should I rebuild the tranny on my new KZ1000P?
If the clutch is not fully disengaging than it will make it harder to shift. Try adjusting the clutch by the manual before buying a new one. You might not need a new clutch. Its worth a shot

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now