Just bought an '87 KZ1000 Police bike (PROJECT!)

More
30 May 2012 11:52 #525852 by ETRANGER508
Hi Everyone; short time stalker, first time poster.

I just bought a used 1987 kz1000 Police bike with ~50k miles on it and I want to strip it down and make a cafe racer style bike out of it. I'm an engineer and have owned two other Kawasakis before, but I need lots of pointers and suggestions.

1. Headlight: I took the front faring off thinking it would be straightforward where to attach a light bucket on the front, but it's not really. Should I look for a bracket kit or find something that will mount on the existing bolt holes on the front of the bike?

2. Seat: This has a single seat and I want to replace it with a two-person seat. I don't know where to start with this one.

3. Gauges: Existing gauges are in good shape, however the tachometer bounces around alot. I'd like to remove the gauges and replace them with something a little more streamlined any suggestions?

4. Exhaust: I'd like to remove the stock mufflers and install a low profile set of pipes. This is my first carbureted bike and I know that changing the back pressure will affect compression, is there a good option for a swap out?

I'll post pics when I get off work.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
30 May 2012 13:08 #525867 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Just bought an '87 KZ1000 Police bike (PROJECT!)
hi and welcome! my names chris and im fairly new here also, as for your headlight your gonna wanna buy or fabricate brackets that are called fork ears, they clamp onto the fork legs and allow you to use sidemount buckets of different diameters. just beware that the factory bucket houses alot of wiring that will need redone if you change it out. for the seat use metal or fiberglass to mold something to your specs. or you can buy a corbin gunfighter that has a cafe' profile but is kinda in between, i have two seats for sale soon if you just want a factory style, one is oem and the other is mustang. plenty of options here but get creative. third you have tons of room to play on instrumentation, from switching around what ya got to an aftermarket. two companies that come to mind for affordable and good looking and well functioning options is koso and acewell, i have used both along with veypor,mychron,and a few others. check out motogadget also they make a guage called the scope thats the size of a money clip. super slick although pricy. and exhaust is gonna call for a change of jetting and your main options are really kirker, vance and hines, maybe a few more unless you want to get custom. im sure someone else can chime in. also theres a member intro thread, introduce yourself there and post some pics of your new ride. have fun and i hope this helps, chris

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
30 May 2012 15:46 #525902 by ETRANGER508
Replied by ETRANGER508 on topic Just bought an '87 KZ1000 Police bike (PROJECT!)
Awesome advice, thanks!

Question about replacing the gauge cluster. What should I do about the odometer? Buying a new set of gauges would mean I'd be starting back at zero? It looks like some of the after market ones are adjustable up until a certain distance (30 km for some of Acewell's products).

Also, should I go with clip-on handlebars or clubman handle bars? I'm leaning toward clip-on unless there is a reason not to.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
02 Jun 2012 02:23 #526396 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Just bought an '87 KZ1000 Police bike (PROJECT!)
Some guages allow that adjustment others do not and bars are preferance, if you use clipons youll have that unused clamp on the triple tree, drag bars work well and clubmans will put you farther forward

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
02 Jun 2012 07:49 #526420 by Medina

ETRANGER508 wrote: I want to strip it down
Thanks!

I'd like to buy the floor boards and mounting hardware to help finance the butc....er...I mean modification!
Assuming they aren't mangled etc. Post a pic.
Someone here I think just posted a "looking for single seat" too.
Those parts, heck, the whole bike is quite collectable if we cant talk you into restoring it, you can pay for the project by selling off those parts you're bobbing.

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

More
04 Jun 2012 13:48 - 04 Jun 2012 13:49 #526797 by MtStateMike
Replied by MtStateMike on topic Just bought an '87 KZ1000 Police bike (PROJECT!)

Attachment HeadlightBracket.jpg not found

Attachment 92KZ1000pcruiser.jpg not found

Attachment 92KZ1000p.jpg not found

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/518663...n-to-cruiser-project

Here is a topic where I converted my 92 KZ1000p into a cafe cruiser. If you want to know where I got any of the parts or help with wiring, I have a little better grasp on it after rewiring mine one wire at a time.

92 KZ1000p
Lumberport, WV
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jun 2012 13:49 by MtStateMike.

More
04 Jun 2012 13:58 #526805 by MFolks
Look here for a wiring diagram: www.cyclepsycho.com/kz1000p/kz1000p.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Jun 2012 12:31 #527240 by ETRANGER508
Replied by ETRANGER508 on topic Just bought an '87 KZ1000 Police bike (PROJECT!)
That looks awesome! I just got my headlight and stuck it on there (I know I promised pics...) I stuck mine as low as I could on the forks, is there a reason why you put yours up so high?

Electrical Question: What should I do about the wiring harness? There are several plastic connections that were inside the front faring but are now exposed. Should I rewrap them? is there a way to keep all the electronics from getting wet? Since this is an old bike the plastic cover is cracking and falling apart. Any suggestions?

Exhaust Compatibility Question: I wasn't able to find exhaust systems specific to the 1987 KZ1000P, but I found several for the surrounding years. Does this bike have similar engines and exhaust mounts to other year KZ1000's? I checked the OEM part numbers for exhaust pipes and mufflers and they are the same part numbers from 1982 to 2000. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket exhaust?

Controls Question: Are there aftermarket controls that are any good? How about other years/models that are compatible? I like the simplicity of the Ninja controls and I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has had any experience using these parts or splicing in said parts.

-Austin

More
06 Jun 2012 14:12 #527255 by MFolks

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 Jun 2012 03:07 #529787 by asukadc
hello, I'm trying to do the same project, I have removed the fairings and i have a plug and i want to convert to the standard kz1000 headlight, can you tell me what did you do / tap into for the 3 wires to make the headlight work? pics would help ! thanks!