What type of oil

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
29 May 2012 17:07 #525702 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic What type of oil
MY .02 ct.
I used to run 20x50 Castrol GTX and it worked fine. Then Got stuck in heavy traffic and motor got hot fast so tried castrol Syntech blended and it helped in heavy traffic with motor temps but now run Rotella and will keep using it and keep the oil changed regular.
I have used the pure synthetics but dont buy into its worth it because you dont have to change it as often as regular oil. No matter what kind of super oil you are using it still picks up dirt and combustion gases so why not change it often and keep the contaminates and moisture out of your KZs.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2012 18:38 - 29 May 2012 18:42 #525715 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic What type of oil
Good point: it may be OK to run pure synthetics 7500 miles in new cars and bikes, but older ones will have more "blow by" which means the engine pumps carbon/combustion products into the oil. All oils contain detergent and solvent to keep this sludge from depositing on the engine, but once they are used up, it needs to be changed to keep from gunking up the motor.

Short trip usage is even worse because it creates condensation that combines with combustion byproducts to make acid. All oils have buffers and acid neutralizers, but once they are used up: it's all over. For short trip usage, 3 months interval for oil changes is smart money. They still put that in new car owner's manuals (severe service) as 3 month or 3k miles, whichever comes first.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 May 2012 18:42 by bountyhunter.

More
29 May 2012 19:36 #525730 by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA
Replied by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA on topic What type of oil
Thanks SeattleKZ for the question...I was wondering myself since I only got my KZ1000 last fall.

650ed, that makes sense what you said and that mobil oil sounds like the ticket. Thanks!

1979 KZ1000 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: SeattleKZ

More
29 May 2012 21:45 #525758 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic What type of oil
Lucas also makes a great motorcycle oil. They have both synthetic and semi-synthetic. It is not cheap but I have put to much time into my bike to use cheap oil. You get what you pay for.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
30 May 2012 19:18 #525948 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic What type of oil
I've read dozens of techno-geek "what oil" arguments on many forums. Seems the best oil that the veteran air cooled guys have had excellent success with is Rotella T . The main benifit of Rotella T is the elevated Zinc levels. The Rotella is a great bargain $$ as well. I personally do NOT run synthetics in wet clutch engines.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy