clutch problem , im thinking shotgun will fix it

• indianajames
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2012 11:27 #525344 by indianajames
1982 750 ltd runs perfectly again and now go for a ride , blast out of the drive wind her up to about 5 grand pull clutch to rip into 2nd and clutch lever goes limp, so im thinking broken cable. the thing about it is , i pull to the curb , bike still running and its still in gear! not moving but in gear? so i turn it off just in case it decide to engage somehow whilst im pushing it home. im wondering how this is possible , in gear and not moving ? must be bad . back at the garage i remove sprocket cover , i mean foot peg, shifter,starter cover and then sprocket cover . every thing looks fine. reinstall everything , adjust clutch and play , pull lever feels good , starts up ready again for some fun , pull lever few more times and "pop" same thing , in gear not moving . take everything apart and figure out that the lever inside sprocket cover must be traveling to far allowing the little plate with the 3 ball baerings to go too far and get stuck between the two plates and not returning to their little grooves . this explained in gear not moving . what a relief . so , put everything back together and figured i had to give less travel , did the same thing again! this makes the 4th time , im totaly stumped except i have heared of the clutch push rod somehow welding itself to the bearing between it and the mushroom looking piece that pushes the basket . i pulled the clutch push rod out but there wasn't anything welded to the end of it . do these symptoms sound familiar to any one? help , she's waaay too pirdy ta sheoot !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.