poor throttle response and pulling back at speed

More
23 May 2012 05:46 #524210 by turbokonijn
Hi all,

My problem is when pulling away the bike needs a lot of throttle and even then it really lurches slowly into action. It's generally pretty boggy and erratic at all low speeds in fact. When it gets up to speed it does it weakly and then suddenly it hits the power band and screams right up there - then it feels like it should. At speed (60-200kmph) it also pulls back (quite rythmically, strangely enough). Feels like fuel starvation but I'm not sure how best to proceed. I've searched out the forum but can't pin it down enough to know where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bike is a KZ650B1 with a D4 engine in it (25k on the clock), pods, 105's jets + standard idle jets, needle position in the middle, has a fuel filter and a clean tank. Ignition is an old Newtronics unit. I set the timing, balanced the carbs etc.

Thanks!

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2012 18:36 - 23 May 2012 18:37 #524321 by Patton

turbokonijn wrote: Hi all,

My problem is when pulling away the bike needs a lot of throttle and even then it really lurches slowly into action. It's generally pretty boggy and erratic at all low speeds in fact. When it gets up to speed it does it weakly and then suddenly it hits the power band and screams right up there - then it feels like it should. At speed (60-200kmph) it also pulls back (quite rythmically, strangely enough). Feels like fuel starvation but I'm not sure how best to proceed. I've searched out the forum but can't pin it down enough to know where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bike is a KZ650B1 with a D4 engine in it (25k on the clock), pods, 105's jets + standard idle jets, needle position in the middle, has a fuel filter and a clean tank. Ignition is an old Newtronics unit. I set the timing, balanced the carbs etc.

Thanks!

Pete

Hello, Pete, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

If not already done, would assure that valve clearances are within specs, and assure that the timing advancer is properly functioning.

After that, would also address fuel supply, fuel levels, and pilot circuits.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 May 2012 18:37 by Patton.

More
23 May 2012 18:54 #524326 by 650ed
You mentioned the 4-letter word (pods); does your bike have the CV carbs? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 May 2012 07:08 #524453 by turbokonijn
Replied by turbokonijn on topic poor throttle response and pulling back at speed
Hi Patton and 650ed, thanks! Timing I'll look at again - the advancer may need an oiling or maybe replacing (no problem as I have a shed full of maybe 7 z650's in bits!)

ed, I still have the old standard mikunis on - I know, I don't feel comfortable with the p@%#s either. Maybe I should just go back to the standard filter as I have a nice one with soft boots. I guess Im just a lazy s$@...

More
24 May 2012 08:53 - 24 May 2012 08:53 #524466 by 650ed
I would put the airbox on and return the jetting to stock and see if that helps. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 24 May 2012 08:53 by 650ed.