Not Good

More
20 May 2012 01:45 #523488 by GPZ Buggy
Replied by GPZ Buggy on topic Not Good
Chain from motor to drive shaft I had machined that runs to a gear box that runs both chains on the independent suspension.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2012 01:52 #523489 by GPZ Buggy
Patton,

The lan was to install skid bars on the bottom with a shild that ran along the bottom and up the back behind the exhaust forcing air to pass over the coils of the engine and up and out the back. But with the new issues this motor may get scrapped.

More
20 May 2012 14:43 #523560 by GPZ Buggy
I did a compression check and all of them read 125 psi except #2 which read 90 psi.

Ok now that I have this information that tells me I need to pull the heads off the bike and insect the #2 pistion along with the others while I'm in there. Before I get to deep into this I need to know how avalible are parts for this motor. Sites such as Kneedraggers.com say they headgasket is no longer availibe. If I start running into problem like this I think my best bet is to find a new motor. I only paid 250.00 for the entire motorcycle.

If anyone knows where I can get parts for this motor please let me know.

More
20 May 2012 17:32 - 20 May 2012 17:33 #523591 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Not Good

GPZ Buggy wrote: I did a compression check and all of them read 125 psi except #2 which read 90 psi.
Ok now that I have this information that tells me I need to pull the heads off the bike and insect the #2 pistion along with the others while I'm in there. Before I get to deep into this I need to know how avalible are parts for this motor. Sites such as Kneedraggers.com say they headgasket is no longer availibe. If I start running into problem like this I think my best bet is to find a new motor. I only paid 250.00 for the entire motorcycle.
If anyone knows where I can get parts for this motor please let me know.

The reduced compression in #2 might be resulting from a too tight valve clearance.
If not already done, before pulling the head, would assure #2's valve clearances are within specs .

Would also repeat the compression test after inserting a spoonful of motor oil into the #2 spark plug hole.
If compression increases, indicates worn piston rings.
If compression remains the same, indicates a valve sealing issue (hopefully just too tight clearance).

Would in any event perform a leak down test before pulling the head.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 May 2012 17:33 by Patton.