Crankcase breather smoking

More
16 May 2012 22:54 - 16 May 2012 22:56 #522801 by Brett0424
Crankcase breather smoking was created by Brett0424
If my crankcase breather is smoking is it more likely that the bike is overheating or that there is blow-by? I only notice it when stopped. I'm not sure if that means it only happens when I'm not moving or if the smoke just doesn't accumulate while driving and I don't see it. Also, it only does it when the bike is hot. How much air should I be able to feel coming out of the crankcase breather? If there is blow-by will it do permanent damage to ride like this or just cause a loss of power? It's an 80 kz440.

80/81 KZ440 frankenstein
Last edit: 16 May 2012 22:56 by Brett0424.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 May 2012 22:56 #522803 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Crankcase breather smoking
Probably blow by,watch your oil level B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
16 May 2012 22:57 #522804 by Brett0424
Replied by Brett0424 on topic Crankcase breather smoking
Wow, fast response. I should watch my oil because it will burn?

80/81 KZ440 frankenstein

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
16 May 2012 23:15 #522810 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Crankcase breather smoking
It will blow it out the crankcase vent,overfilling with oil can also cause oil to blow out the vent.
If youre running pod filters and the crankcase vent is open Id take a piece of clear hose and hook it on the vent then run other end up between battery/seat then loop it back down towards swingarm without kinking it.
This will let it vent but will hold the oil in so it drains back to motor. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
16 May 2012 23:19 #522812 by Brett0424
Replied by Brett0424 on topic Crankcase breather smoking
I do have pods and there is currently no hose on the vent. There does not seem to be any oil coming out of the vent though, would that make you think it is overheating rather than blow-by? Or is it possible it's just getting burnt up in-route? Thanks so much for the responses so far.

80/81 KZ440 frankenstein

More
17 May 2012 00:11 #522826 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Crankcase breather smoking
Would perform dry and wet (add a spoonful of motor oil through the spark plug hole) compression tests on each cylinder. Increased compression with wet test indicates unseated rings or worn rings and perhaps also worn cylinder bores.

Would also perform the sniff test and examine the crankcase oil to check for possible contamination with gasoline. If contaminated, would change both oil and filter, and not run the engine until determining and correcting the cause.

The two compression rings on each piston are supposed to prevent excessive blow-by pressure into the crankcase.

The oil ring on each piston is supposed to prevent oil from coming up around the piston and into the combustion chamber. A worn or broken or mis-fitted oil ring typically results in smoking from the exhaust, as the oil is burned along with the fuel mixture.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman