KZ650 to 810, questions galore!

More
05 May 2012 18:31 - 07 May 2012 19:55 #520025 by rrlslacker
KZ650 to 810, questions galore! was created by rrlslacker
Hi everyone,
I'm getting ready to make my 79 KZ650B into an 810 and I need to get my plan laid out. I've read about about a dozen and a half threads on this, but I'd like to ask some questions relating to my specific build and criteria, if you guys could help me out.

My main goal is not all out top end power, but rather a compromise of a wide power band and long-lasting reliability. I've already got the 80 KZ750 jugs, head, and cams, and I'll like to use the Wiseco 810 kit, and K&N pod filters. I might try to get a Kerker exhaust, but if I can't find a new one available, it'll be a Vance & Hines. Beyond that, everything's a variable. Here are my questions:

1. What carburetors? WiredGeorge seems to recommend Mikuni BS34's. These aren't too big for what I'm going for? He also sells VM30's, which I would prefer for their simplicity, but if the 34's would work better I'd go with them. Mikuni RS34 flat sides are available new, are they better suited for larger bore/racing applications?

2. What cams? The GPZ cams sound like they make the power band too high and narrow. I'd also like to keep the worm gear so I can use my mint stock gauges. Should I just use the KZ750 cams? Is there anywhere that would weld and grind the lobes, or is that not necessary. Are other custom cams with a worm gear readily available?

3. Which head? The 750 would have bigger valves and ports, but I've read some opinions that it's good to use the 650 head because its smaller combustion chamber increases compression.

4. How much head work? I'm pretty sure I'll want larger valves and stronger springs, right? How do I determine the valve size? How about porting and polishing the intake/exhaust ports, and decking the head?

5. What about the connecting rods? Right now I only have my stock 650 rods, are they strong enough? Should I have them shot-peened or find replacements?

6. What about the crankshaft. Will the stock 650 crank be strong enough? On paper, I really like the idea of a lightened and balanced crank, is it worth it?

7. I'll need an oil cooler right? I live in southeast PA. I don't ride in traffic, but it's normal to get into the 80's and 90's (F) in the middle of summer. 100 is somewhat rare, but possible on the hottest days. Where can I get a new cooler and connections? I thought I could get on a Klasmo site a few years ago, but I now I can't find it.

8. What is the most recommended place to get these things done? I'll be doing all the assembly and tuning myself, but I don't the equipment or the experience for the machine work. There is a local machinist that has been great to me in the past. He'll be able bore the upper cases and maybe the cylinders, but I think I'd better get the head and crank work done somewhere that specializes in KZ's. I know there's quite a few out there (APE, Cavanaugh, FastbyGast, etc.), who is most recommended?

9. What am I forgetting? Any other modifications I should be planning, or things to watch out for?

79 KZ650 B3 - Frame off resto nearing completion
Last edit: 07 May 2012 19:55 by rrlslacker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2012 19:54 #520552 by rrlslacker
Replied by rrlslacker on topic KZ650 to 810, questions galore!
bump

Is this too many questions? Anybody?

More
07 May 2012 20:04 #520555 by Injected

More
07 May 2012 23:38 #520616 by rrlslacker
Replied by rrlslacker on topic KZ650 to 810, questions galore!
Thanks Injected. I didn't see that one last time I scoured 650.info for this stuff. I don't read there nearly as often. Apparently I should.