Blanking internal oil passages

More
04 Jun 2006 04:34 #51940 by Jay_G
Blanking internal oil passages was created by Jay_G
Gday guys,

Was browsing through a magazine and saw pics of a turbo kawa 750 with a burst saying that he had blanked the internal passages and had fitted external lines.
Besides looking cool with the annodised fittings and braided lines is there any benifit of doing this?

What is the procedure, i assume you have to drill out the blanks on the side of the head and tap them for the fitting?
also how are the internal passages blanked off?

whats the proper name for this setup anyway?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2006 09:28 #51975 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Blanking internal oil passages
mr.turbo used to make a kit for early zx11s they had a lot of crank problems so theyd restrict oil to topend to keep more oil in bottem end and run external oil lines to head.might be a picture on their website

More
04 Jun 2006 15:16 #52050 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Blanking internal oil passages
"top end oiler kit" is the name i think, have seen lots of these on drag bikes. with the big bore high comp pistons, they sometimes weep oil, the kit is supposed to get rid of that problem i believe.

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
07 May 2007 10:38 #137910 by tuxedotito
Replied by tuxedotito on topic Blanking internal oil passages
I was wondering the same thing! Was looking in the 4 corner stud-bores through the cylinder head and you can see the internal openings. Maybe ream out the corner stud-bores a little and have a properly sized brass sleeve pressed in to seal up the insides??? Might that work? Tapping the end of the galleys for AN fittings would be no biggie. The engine cases have a number of places where the oil system could be tapped into. I have a roll of Aeroquip stainless -4 hose left over from brake lines that would look cool...B),who cares if it is really necessary? :laugh: :laugh:

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 May 2007 19:32 #138055 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Blanking internal oil passages
I've heard the aftermarket studs are larger and they restricked oil flow on the corner bolts,so they add the outer lines. Any truth to that?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
08 May 2007 09:32 #138185 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Blanking internal oil passages
The studs definetly close the holes some.
If a higher pressure oil pump is used
I would say more oil would get to the
head with external lines.I have had hot
oil spray on my leg before on the strip,
then normal riding not leak. So I can
see why on a strip bike could need the
external lines.

More
08 May 2007 18:31 #138361 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Blanking internal oil passages
They used to bore out the outer stud holes to open up the clearance some, but they mainly use the top-end oil line kits to just by-pass the cylinder. Head gasket likes to leak and this helps eliminate that trouble. Mainly used for BIG-bore motors that use copper head gaskets because they don't seal as well....

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110