Bent or stuck valve

More
02 May 2012 08:18 #519287 by Feb4519
Bent or stuck valve was created by Feb4519
Hi,could someone please tell me what to look for to see if I have a stuck or bent valve in my KZ750 4cyl. motor. Can you tell by a compression test? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2012 09:13 #519293 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bent or stuck valve
You may want to try a leakdown test. That may help pinpoint which valve (if any) has a problem.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feb4519

More
02 May 2012 09:56 #519302 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Bent or stuck valve
Going over the receipts on my kz, I've seen two from the dealer than indicated a "slightly bent exhaust valve"...no mention of having it fixed, but there is a gap of 4 years I noticed in the receipts with quite a few miles added between receipts. Bike had 30K when I got my hands on it.
Compression is within 2-3%, haven't' done a leak down, put 2000 miles on it since I got it.
Do I need to be concerned? thanks

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
02 May 2012 15:16 #519369 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Bent or stuck valve

Feb4519 wrote: Hi,could someone please tell me what to look for to see if I have a stuck or bent valve in my KZ750 4cyl. motor. Can you tell by a compression test? Thanks

Rough running, low on power, feels sluggish. Sounds weak like running on three cylinders. One or more pipes will be cooler than the others
Yes a compression test will show a bent valve. Have you run the valves on your bike lately? Make sure your lash is set properly before relying on a compression or leak down test.
If you have the head off of the bike and still can't determine just by looking, pour gasoline, mineral spirits or alcohol through the exhaust ports to determine if one is leaking(pouring).

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feb4519