Repack Exhaust & Wrap Pipes

More
02 May 2012 00:11 #519247 by blipside
Repack Exhaust & Wrap Pipes was created by blipside
Good day all. To start, I'm not that great with jetting. I haven't tried it on motorcycles yet, but I have always been a little off when working with old school Vespas. I want to repack the exhaust & was thinking of wrapping the pipes.

Wrapping the pipes - From what I read, when you wrap the pipes it will lean out your mixture a little & you should rejet because the gases are flowing out better.

Repacking the exhaust - If I repack the exhaust that should slow the flow a little because there is more material to go through before getting out.

So my theory is that if I do both at once then I shouldn't have to worry about jetting. Any thoughts? Any one with experience on either side of this?

I know I can sound crazy at times, but that is how my brain works. I think outside the box, sometimes so far outside that I can't see the box any more. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2012 00:17 #519250 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Repack Exhaust & Wrap Pipes
I'll touch on wrapping the pipes; it will trap moisture,making the system rust out quicker.I'd suggest getting fiberglass insulation & wrap that with a fine wire mesh, and then use some 0.032" aircraft safety wire at least 4 places to hold this "Baffle" together.

Others will be along about jetting sizes.....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
02 May 2012 12:24 #519332 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Repack Exhaust & Wrap Pipes
If the bike was running fine before wrapping or re-packing then it will run fine after without any changes. Wrapping the exahust will do nothing for performance at least nothing you will feel.

More
02 May 2012 14:12 #519364 by blipside
Replied by blipside on topic Repack Exhaust & Wrap Pipes
Thanks for the info guys. I was planning on getting rid of the crome, spraying the pipe with high temp paint, & then wrapping it. I may change my mind on that. I do want to repack the exhaust. I'm hoping it will quite things a little.