Transmission Question

• WarTiger
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Don't be scared...CUT IT UP!!!
More
01 May 2012 22:45 #519224 by WarTiger
Transmission Question was created by WarTiger
I have just got my engine case all assembled and everything went back together as advertised and it seems as though everything fit together just like it was supposed to.

Now here is my only worry. Once everything was back together I checked the transmission, which was assembled in neutral as it should, by shifting down into first (went in just fine), back into neutral (no problem), then I tried to shift it up into second and it will not budge up from neutral. Now my experience on rebuilds is limited to only one other. The XV750 that I built would shift through every gear as it set with no issues. Is there some reason why it will not shift up from neutral? I hope I am worried for nothing, and I damn sure don't want to pull the case back apart unless I have to. I inspected the transmission thoroughly while it was apart and it is in pristine condition. I reassembled it and installed it exactly along with the service manual and everything went together perfect.

So I'm hoping that soemone can put my mind at ease and tell me why it's doing what it's doing. I just now finally got a good cylinder bloack and I'm ready to finish the whole thing off, but I don't want to go any farther if there is indeed something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Caleb -
82 KZ1000M2 CSR (POS with loads of potential!!)
82 XV750 Custom Cafe (Former POS....potential revealed!!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
01 May 2012 23:08 #519227 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Transmission Question
Not positive about second, but I know you can't hit other gears without the engine running.

More
01 May 2012 23:14 #519234 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Transmission Question
Sounds perfectly normal.

The transmission is designed to not shift into 2nd until the bike is moving forward.

Should be able to shift into 2nd while on the centerstand and spinning the rear wheel fast enough by hand.

Good Fortune. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• WarTiger
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Don't be scared...CUT IT UP!!!
More
02 May 2012 18:34 #519402 by WarTiger
Replied by WarTiger on topic Transmission Question
Sounds like a winner!! Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease.

- Caleb -
82 KZ1000M2 CSR (POS with loads of potential!!)
82 XV750 Custom Cafe (Former POS....potential revealed!!)

More
03 May 2012 00:28 #519486 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Transmission Question
Why don't we put up a sticky or FAQ about this. I'll bet this question has been asked and answered probably 150 times in the time I've been here.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
03 May 2012 12:14 #519563 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Transmission Question
Normal for the KZ1000 series not normal for the KZ650 or KZ750 series.