K&L cam chain tool

• Mcdroid
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
03 Jun 2006 12:17 #51840 by Mcdroid
K&L cam chain tool was created by Mcdroid
Bought a K&L cam chain tool from Jeff the other day with every intention to replace my cam chain. Sat down on this site to search the archives for hints on use of the tool but came up empty. There are threads discussing the use or folks just say 'use it' but no instructions. It is not intuitively obvious to me how the device works. Two ratchet driven cutting/joining surfaces (one with a solid pin and the other with an embedded pin on a spring). Can someone explain to me the 'how to's'? Thanks.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2006 20:03 #52405 by mbsween
Replied by mbsween on topic K&L cam chain tool
Mike,
I had the same issue. I'd rate the tool as purpose built for something, but not the job at hand. Its an expensive toy that sort of works.

The side with the spring loaded pin is for putting the master link on and the side with the hole in it is for pushing a link out of the chain.

The pin in the tool isn't long enough to push the pin in the cam chain all the way through. What I ended up doing was pushing the pin out a ways, dremeling the end of the pin down a bit, then pushing the pin back out the other way. You have to keep moving cam chain link plates out of the way. I ended up using a pair of pliers to pull the pin all the way through the link.

In my opinion, that (the pin not being long enough) just plain sucks. As does the lack of directions. I'll be looking to the motion pro tool if I ever need to do something like this again.

Just my 0.02

matt

More
07 Jun 2006 02:21 #52502 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic K&L cam chain tool
The tool isn't supposed to push the pin all the way through the chain, it just needs to push it through the first side plate (about 1/8") - then you repeat with the pin on the same side plate and the link comes apart and pulls out.

The tool should come with instructions - I have asked K&L for instructions several times, but so far none have been included in the packaging.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,