Timing adjustment

More
24 Apr 2012 13:53 #517789 by Brett0424
Timing adjustment was created by Brett0424
I understand that cam chain timing can't be super precisely adjusted. I'm setting it now and moving back and forth one notch on the chain won't get the cam sprocket arrow completely parallel to the cylinder head. In this scenario is it preferred to have the arrow pointing slightly up, slightly down or does it not matter? In one position the arrow looks level before the tensioner is installed, then the tensioner makes it point slightly down. Should this be the position I go with? Thanks.

Brett

80/81 KZ440 frankenstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2012 14:26 - 24 Apr 2012 14:31 #517793 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Timing adjustment
If the tensioner is changing the cam timing, then something is wrong. Maybe you are turning the motor the wrong direction. Or you are not getting the chain tight when doing the alignment.

On the twins:
The tensioner is on the front of the motor, so that is the slack side. The engine should only be turned in the direction opposite of the wheels.

When you check the timing, the chain, from crank to intake cam, should already be tight, so changes in tensioner should not affect the timing.

The inline-fours spin the opposite way, so everything is reversed.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2012 14:31 by loudhvx.

More
24 Apr 2012 15:13 #517803 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Timing adjustment
On my 750 twin, I had to put some tension on the chain using the tensioner to keep the chain on right. Only turn the crankshaft counterclockwise which is the normal direction of rotation viewed from the timing cover end. If the cams arrows don't line up with the head, something is wrong.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Apr 2012 15:59 #517811 by Brett0424
Replied by Brett0424 on topic Timing adjustment

bountyhunter wrote: If the cams arrows don't line up with the head, something is wrong.

Well they are off but only slightly. Is there anything that could be wrong that I could check? The manual says to tighten the chain after setting timing. If you tighten the chain on one side it seems normal that it would turn the sprocket that way very slightly, but I guess not?

80/81 KZ440 frankenstein

More
24 Apr 2012 19:54 #517847 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Timing adjustment
I don't know unless the chain just has too much stretch wear.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Apr 2012 03:34 #517955 by Brett0424
Replied by Brett0424 on topic Timing adjustment
So I got it back together. It turns, has fuel and has spark but won't start. Does this mean my timing is off? Will a bike just not start if the timing is off? I figured it would start but just run poorly. This sucks. Should I take it all back apart and try the other position?

80/81 KZ440 frankenstein

More
25 Apr 2012 13:14 #518013 by Bahlzeron
Replied by Bahlzeron on topic Timing adjustment
You may need to have a certain number of pins/links on the timing chain between the alignment marks on the cams. Also make sure the cams are in their proper locations/ facing proper direction (don't ask... it's easy to miss that)

'83 kz550 LTD (shaft)