Leaking Carb

• kool4kawis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • live is just evil in the mirror
More
15 Apr 2012 02:58 #515867 by kool4kawis
Leaking Carb was created by kool4kawis
Fired the motor up for the first time today and noticed fuel leaking out of the throat on the filter side of the #2 carb. Do I have a stuck slide or is it in the float, don't know much about carbs obviously. Also could anyone tell me the float height for a BS34. What jets should I be using for a stock CSR 1000 with aftermarket exhaust and pods.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• saxonpirate
  • User
  • 1983 KZ1100 LTD
More
15 Apr 2012 06:06 - 15 Apr 2012 06:08 #515874 by saxonpirate
Replied by saxonpirate on topic Leaking Carb
You don't say if the bike has been stood for sometime or the carbs rebuilt/cleaned...

If they are BS34's and you have pods fitted, remove the pod and push the slide up with your finger. Let go and the slide should return in one smooth movement. A mirror might help to see what's going on. As far as float height goes for the B34's, mine are 18.6mm +/- 1mm. This is for a KZ1100 ltd though, so check out the web for your bike. There may be a difference. Here's a link to a pdf by Ed Ness regarding the rebuild of Mikuni Carbs. Although it's aimed at Suzuki owners, it's very informative and features B34 CV carbs. Well worth downloading... COPY AND PASTE THE WHOLE LINK

www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_B...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

Re-jetting for exhaust and pods, the concensus of opinion seems to be an uprating of the main jet and "sometimes" the pilot jet, along with re-clipping the needle. I've actually gone the other way with my bike and returned to the stock air box and stock exhaust. Main 120 to stock 117.5 with stock pilot of 37.5 This is a subject which in my opinion requires a degree of experimentation with jetting and needle height, and there are many on this forum with far more practice than I have regarding uprating carbs, hopefully someone will come along...

1983 KZ1100 LTD..

Ride like your life depended on it :-)
Last edit: 15 Apr 2012 06:08 by saxonpirate.

• kool4kawis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • live is just evil in the mirror
More
15 Apr 2012 06:28 #515876 by kool4kawis
Replied by kool4kawis on topic Leaking Carb
I bought the cards from my local salvage yard, he sonic cleaned them for me but they have not been rebuilt. I assume they have been sitting for quite a while as I have had them for a year and who knows how long he had them before I bought them but for 100.00 cleaned I thought it was a pretty good deal. He sold me a complete motor minus carbs and exhaust for 400.00 and when I took the valve cover off to look at the cams for wear and changed the oil the thing was spotless so I trust him and what he sells, I just am not sure what bike theese carbs came off of and want to set them up properly for my bike before I can do any damage.Thanks for the info, I will tear into them and check the slides first.

More
15 Apr 2012 07:55 #515882 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Leaking Carb

kool4kawis wrote: Fired the motor up for the first time today and noticed fuel leaking out of the throat on the filter side of the #2 carb. Do I have a stuck slide or is it in the float, don't know much about carbs obviously. Also could anyone tell me the float height for a BS34. What jets should I be using for a stock CSR 1000 with aftermarket exhaust and pods.

Fuel may have also entered the crankcase and contaminated the oil. :(

Fuel rising high enough to enter the carb throat typically results from a leaking float valve (for whatever reason) and thereafter getting past the overflow circuit (where so equipped).

The proper float height is whatever produces the correct fuel level.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Apr 2012 11:26 #515909 by AtLarge
Replied by AtLarge on topic Leaking Carb

saxonpirate wrote: You don't say if the bike has been stood for sometime or the carbs rebuilt/cleaned...

If they are BS34's and you have pods fitted, remove the pod and push the slide up with your finger. Let go and the slide should return in one smooth movement. A mirror might help to see what's going on. As far as float height goes for the B34's, mine are 18.6mm +/- 1mm. This is for a KZ1100 ltd though, so check out the web for your bike. There may be a difference. Here's a link to a pdf by Ed Ness regarding the rebuild of Mikuni Carbs. Although it's aimed at Suzuki owners, it's very informative and features B34 CV carbs. Well worth downloading... COPY AND PASTE THE WHOLE LINK

www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_B...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

Re-jetting for exhaust and pods, the concensus of opinion seems to be an uprating of the main jet and "sometimes" the pilot jet, along with re-clipping the needle. I've actually gone the other way with my bike and returned to the stock air box and stock exhaust. Main 120 to stock 117.5 with stock pilot of 37.5 This is a subject which in my opinion requires a degree of experimentation with jetting and needle height, and there are many on this forum with far more practice than I have regarding uprating carbs, hopefully someone will come along...

That link is a good guide but one thing I find odd is the float height reference. My Kawi Service Manual says for my year 82 and up should be 18mm for BS34's whereas this guide says to use 22mm.

I don't recall my float or valve looking any different so why such a big variance?

My system is totally stock. How will changing my height to 22mm effect performance?

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
15 Apr 2012 11:42 - 15 Apr 2012 11:45 #515912 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Leaking Carb
the higher the fuel level in the bowl , the easier it is for it to be drawn up the jets. (think, more pressure). so a higher level will make it run richer.

the dif in levels from 1 model to another would be related to the amount of vacuum the bike has available, to pull the fuel from the bowl. A bike with a smaller intake track, will have a higher vacuum signal..

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 15 Apr 2012 11:45 by mark1122.

More
15 Apr 2012 12:32 - 15 Apr 2012 12:36 #515922 by AtLarge
Replied by AtLarge on topic Leaking Carb

mark1122 wrote: the higher the fuel level in the bowl , the easier it is for it to be drawn up the jets. (think, more pressure). so a higher level will make it run richer.

the dif in levels from 1 model to another would be related to the amount of vacuum the bike has available, to pull the fuel from the bowl. A bike with a smaller intake track, will have a higher vacuum signal..

Therein lies the problem with my understanding. If you can get past my shoddy paint graphic dumb this down for me.

If you are set at 22mm and change it to 18mm doesn't the level of fuel in the bowl get higher (closer to the jet) thus making it easier to pick up and run richer? Moving it from 18 to 22 would shut the flow off sooner, lowering the level and lean it out? So why recommend a measurement of 22mm?

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Last edit: 15 Apr 2012 12:36 by AtLarge.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
15 Apr 2012 12:38 - 15 Apr 2012 12:43 #515925 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Leaking Carb
that is correct. but its actualy further from the jet. the fuel must pass through the main jet, wich is lower in the bowl, near the bottom.

when u look at it like this :silly: its easier. :P

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 15 Apr 2012 12:43 by mark1122.