Found in oil pan

More
14 Apr 2012 23:50 #515853 by markthink
Found in oil pan was created by markthink
Two small pieces of tough, dark orange ceramic-like material. Each is about 0.200" wide by 0.375" long. Back side as I see it is flat and very smooth. Top side lightly rounded off and appears well polished. Max thickness 0.090-0.100" or so tapering to half that at edges. Stuff is tough: couldn't snap a length between fingernails under pressure.

Given: no metal in pan. 7k on machine. Shift forks out, drum out, clutch out, shaft output off. All parts appear new as I'd expect. Nothing orange seen (aside the cast textured orange-ish steel of rods). All looks new. Engine was running super with the lightest of taps in cylinder one until warm- thought that was just a minor valve adjustment.

Cam guide, some kind of slide, slough from factory build? Ideas anyone?

'83 KZ1100-A3 Shaft, Vetters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2012 23:55 #515857 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Found in oil pan
Can you get a picture of it? Only thing I can think of is off the alternator but not sure how it would make it into oil pan. Is it straight or does it have a slight curve to it?

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
15 Apr 2012 05:01 #515870 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Found in oil pan
When I read about orange plastic pieces, I thought of Fram oil filter.... :lol:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Apr 2012 10:06 #515893 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Found in oil pan
could be coated in high temp gasket sealer

More
15 Apr 2012 10:23 #515897 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic Found in oil pan
Its the glue or whatever from your starter clutch magnet, they all fall off and peal. Dont worry about it but you might want to check and see if you magnets are still tight.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

More
15 Apr 2012 10:58 #515901 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Found in oil pan

etbike3135 wrote: Its the glue or whatever from your starter clutch magnet, they all fall off and peal. Dont worry about it but you might want to check and see if you magnets are still tight.

I thought the same thing. I've seen it lots of times.

If you want a fix for that, pull the rotor, absolutely degrease it. Scuff the metal outside of the magnets up and form a bead of JB weld where the old orange colored epoxy was. Bake it if you like to accelerate the cure and really harden up the JB. USE COMMON SENSE as for how much to apply.

Larry C.