Help with exhaust ID

More
10 Apr 2012 09:52 #514979 by LukeMacPU
Help with exhaust ID was created by LukeMacPU
Trying to ID the 4-into-1 exhaust that is on my '75 Z1-B. I've not found any markings on it.

It had lots of surface rust. I've sanded and repainted to the condition below, but the baffles are bad and it's really loud. I'd like to quiet it down a bit, but don't know what baffles to order.

Any help?

'75 Z1B - work in progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
10 Apr 2012 10:23 #514986 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Help with exhaust ID
That pipe is in very bad condition and could be very detrimental to your bike. On second look, your bike may be causing you a lot of pain and misery, you'd be better off sending it to me for closer inspection and you just picking up a new bike to ride for your comfort and well being. :whistle:

Seriously, I can't tell what pipe that is. That is a massive collector and looks like it would BOOM!!!!
Measure the ID. at rear of the pipe. You may be able to fit a baffle out of a MAC or Kerker in it.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
10 Apr 2012 10:26 - 10 Apr 2012 10:29 #514987 by LukeMacPU
Replied by LukeMacPU on topic Help with exhaust ID
Collector looks like V&H to me, but I'm only finding V&H available in chrome?

Do all V&H megaphone exhausts use the same baffles? Where can you find them?

Last edit: 10 Apr 2012 10:29 by LukeMacPU.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
10 Apr 2012 10:34 - 10 Apr 2012 10:35 #514990 by BlackZ1R
The pipe diameter at the collector looks larger on the pipe on your bike, but it could be an illusion with the black paint. Look here for baffles:
www.dynoman.net/exhaust/baffles.html

V&H pipes are all over the internet.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .
Last edit: 10 Apr 2012 10:35 by BlackZ1R.

More
10 Apr 2012 10:46 - 10 Apr 2012 11:01 #514991 by LukeMacPU
Thanks for the link to the Dynoman site. Looks like I should be able to remove/measure my old one and get a new one that will fit.

For the sake of saving a few bucks, I hope it's the V&H. Those Kerker baffles are pricey. :unsure:

Last edit: 10 Apr 2012 11:01 by LukeMacPU.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
10 Apr 2012 11:09 #514996 by BlackZ1R
Yeah really :pinch: . Hey, it depends on what you want, but you can put a MAC baffle in it and it will purr like a kitten. $50 or less all day long. I've seen them go for $30 at some places. No glass to burn out either :woohoo:

Uhh, have you given my first post any thought yet??? :whistle: :cheer:

Kawasaki

More
10 Apr 2012 14:37 #515041 by LukeMacPU
Against my better judgement, I'm going to have to hang on to the ol' bike for a while.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
11 Apr 2012 00:47 - 11 Apr 2012 00:48 #515168 by BlackZ1R
:P Haha, I hear ya.
Look. get a caliper or a good tape and check the ID of your pipe at the end where the baffle goes.
If it is 3.850, go with the V&H baffle.
Just looking at the V&H baffle on Dynoman's site, it has the louvered design similar to the one in my Bassani, and should give you the sound you're looking for. ;)

Kawasaki

Last edit: 11 Apr 2012 00:48 by BlackZ1R.

More
11 Apr 2012 01:33 #515174 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Help with exhaust ID
Hey, there's another thread going with a pipe that looks like yours.
Check it out:
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/515065-black-mac-4-1-exhaust#515111

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
11 Apr 2012 02:08 #515177 by BlackZ1R
Unless the black paint is throwing me an illusion, his pipe looks nothing like the black MAC in the other thread.
Or the chrome V&H in this thread for that matter.

This one seems to be nearly the same diameter from right out of the collector to the end of the pipe with very little change. It could be the angle of the picture or, the black paint.

Luke, get us some measurements of the pipe a couple inches past the collector and at the very end of it.

One of my MAC pipes looks similar to the black pipe in the other thread you posted.
2 1/2" at the collector, goes into the meg section and the end of the meg is 4"(3.980) and the ID. is 3.860 or so.
That's why I was assuming he could use a MAC baffle if he wanted it quiet.
The louvered baffles aren't too loud and sound kinda wicked :evil:

Kawasaki

More
11 Apr 2012 07:55 - 11 Apr 2012 09:35 #515203 by LukeMacPU
Pulled out my damaged old baffle for some measuring. On the big end it's 3.50" OD where the screw fits to hold it in. The smaller end is 2.75" OD and it's 15-5/8" from the small end to the screw. These are the actual baffle measurements or close, used a caliper.

ID of my megaphone at the big end is 3.75". Didn't measure the small end, it's still on the bike.

Doesn't look like the MAC baffle will work, may be too big. So are the V&H's on Dynoman's page.

Different angle...

The reason I was thinking it was V&H is because the individual header tubes meet the collector then head straight back. Looks like the Kerker and MAC systems that are now available, have an S curve as they approach the collector. Mine is basically an elbow coming off the engine, straight, another elbow and straight into the collector.

Kerker:

MAC:

V&H:

I just don't know what other options are out there, or were out there during whatever decade this pipe ended up on my bike.

Last edit: 11 Apr 2012 09:35 by LukeMacPU.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
11 Apr 2012 11:30 #515224 by BlackZ1R
:blink: Heh, your shadow falls right where I was looking to see the size of the collector in that second pic :lol:

Take a pic of the old baffle too.
Get a caliper and make sure what the EXACT ID of the rear of the pipe is. 3.750 sounds pretty close.
Dynoman lists Kerker as having two different size baffles. The large meg baffle as 3.760 OD and the small meg is listed as 3.750 OD.
I just put a caliper on one of my Kerker baffles and it reads right under 3.750 OD.
Not sure if there is that much difference between the two baffles(small and large meg) because the baffle I measured fits the Kerker that you have pictured above.

Item # 100-6362 on Dynoman website is a "2 core baffle for the small meg. $119.95 + 12 to ship. :pinch:

After you get an accurate measurement of the ID of your pipe, you can call these people and ask them the OD of their Kerker style comp baffle and you may just get lucky and it fit your pipe. :woohoo:

www.newmotorcycleparts.com/exhaust_parts/baffles.html

Or you can just do what we used to do in the day and cut the top out of a Chevy oil filter and drop it in there with a sheet metal screw. :silly:

Kawasaki