VERY rough noises - 1982 GPZ 750

More
09 Apr 2012 16:17 #514863 by FKK
Hello I am Felix from Holland.

I have some issues with my 82 GPZ that I cannot diagnose.

I rebuilt the top end. It ran perfectly when I fired it up. I rode up and down the street, satisfied with myself and parked it.
After a week, I started it again and it suddenly started making VERY rough noises. I immediately shut it down and gathered it would be a top end problem. So I opened it up to check. Everything 100% perfect.

So now I have tried to rotate the crank by hand. It does not rotate nicely. It has some rough spots that I can pull through without much force but it does not sound nice. It feels rough and you can hear some grinding.

Now I was wondering what can this be? It seems like a sudden failure not a gradual one. ..

Any ideas?

Thanks

Felix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2012 01:52 - 10 Apr 2012 01:53 #514953 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic VERY rough noises - 1982 GPZ 750
Felix, check the compression, throttle open.
Remove cam cover and see if oil is up there!
Check valve clearance (I think your engine has under-bucket shims, I would normally think that a shim has slipped out)
Check worm drive for Tacho.
Check chain-tensioner is adjusted and locked
This is a start!
RegardZ.

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia
Last edit: 10 Apr 2012 01:53 by Garn.

More
10 Apr 2012 08:49 #514978 by FKK
Replied by FKK on topic VERY rough noises - 1982 GPZ 750
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I checked all the above items and I am beginning to become quite sure the top end is ok.
compression is there, timing is perfect, chain is taut, clearances no problem.

Rotation was also difficult without head. The noise seems to come from below.

Dropped the oil pan in the mean time. I can see upward but do not know what to look for.

When I rotate the rear wheel (in gear), everything rotates freely up to the clutch (i.e. exterior basket - I removed the clutch linings).
When I rotate the clutch interior basket (counterclockwise, i.e. normal direction), I have the same grinding noise.

Strange thing: when I rotate the crank (cw), I come to the ' grinding point ' noise - then I turn a LITTLE back (no noise here), after which I can rotate again for a while until the same happens.

So I begin to suspect somewhere between crank and clutch exterior basket.... What could it be???

Thanks again

Felix

More
10 Apr 2012 10:13 #514981 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic VERY rough noises - 1982 GPZ 750
I suspect you have a bearing down. Can you rotate the engine without the bike in gear? Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
12 Apr 2012 12:13 #515423 by FKK
Replied by FKK on topic VERY rough noises - 1982 GPZ 750
I will try. Next step for me is a stethoscope...

But one more thing - this most definitely was a sudden failure. And I think bearings do not fail suddenly, but gradually.... Would this narrow down the possiblities?

Thanks

Felix

More
12 Apr 2012 13:04 #515430 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic VERY rough noises - 1982 GPZ 750
This may sound stupid but could you remove the chain from the rear wheel?

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
12 Apr 2012 13:12 - 12 Apr 2012 17:58 #515432 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic VERY rough noises - 1982 GPZ 750

FKK wrote: Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I checked all the above items and I am beginning to become quite sure the top end is ok.
compression is there, timing is perfect, chain is taut, clearances no problem.

Rotation was also difficult without head. The noise seems to come from below.

Dropped the oil pan in the mean time. I can see upward but do not know what to look for.

When I rotate the rear wheel (in gear), everything rotates freely up to the clutch (i.e. exterior basket - I removed the clutch linings).
When I rotate the clutch interior basket (counterclockwise, i.e. normal direction), I have the same grinding noise.

Strange thing: when I rotate the crank (cw), I come to the ' grinding point ' noise - then I turn a LITTLE back (no noise here), after which I can rotate again for a while until the same happens.

So I begin to suspect somewhere between crank and clutch exterior basket.... What could it be???

Thanks again

Felix

Larry C.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2012 17:58 by LarryC. Reason: 750 not 1100 GPz..

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
12 Apr 2012 17:56 #515459 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic VERY rough noises - 1982 GPZ 750
You may have dropped something down in the bottom end when you rebuilt the top and now it's eating a bearing or primary gear. :ohmy:

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock