help with sheared manifold screws

More
01 Apr 2012 16:59 #513409 by richrand
help with sheared manifold screws was created by richrand
I searched, but couldn't find a thread that addressed my issue specifically. (please point me in the right direction if you know of one.)

I recently acquired a 1977 kz1000a that has been sitting for years. I've been working on getting it on the road by going through the usual cleaning, checking, and adjusting. After cleaning and rebuilding the carbs, it became clear that the intake manifold boots were leaky. I set out to remove them (to clean and reseat them) but discovered that the upper screws on the manifolds were severely seized -- the lower ones came off fine. Using PB Blaster and an impact screwdriver, I managed to get two of them off. The other two, however, were so seized that they sheared off. Before I do anything else, I wanted to ask the forum what the next best course of action should be. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'd be happy to provide pics or more details.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2012 18:25 #513422 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic help with sheared manifold screws
Are they sheared off flush with the head or is there enough to get a hold of?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
01 Apr 2012 18:53 #513427 by richrand
Replied by richrand on topic help with sheared manifold screws

Powerstroke_fan wrote: Are they sheared off flush with the head or is there enough to get a hold of?

One is sheared flush. The other has a about two threads worth sticking out -- not quite enough to get a ahold of of.

More
01 Apr 2012 21:05 #513457 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic help with sheared manifold screws
Find someone with a tig welder and have them weld a nut on it.
The heating and cooling along with the extra grip of the nut should help to extract the bolt.
Use some pb blaster and work it out like a tap.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
01 Apr 2012 21:47 #513466 by cpg
Replied by cpg on topic help with sheared manifold screws
If you don't have a welder, you can get a small screw extractor from NAPA. They have a small end like a punch and you just drill a small hole in the middle of the screw (so you don't hit threads) then hammer the remover into the hole and twist the screw out. At little heat will help, just be careful since its aluminum. However, if you do have access to a welder go that route.

Current Bikes: KZ440 LTD and KZ305 CSR

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
17 Aug 2012 21:35 #543163 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic help with sheared manifold screws
I dont know if you have fixed your sheared bolts by now but at this stage, you have to drill a 3/16 hole in the center of the bolt and use an easey-out to screw it in counter clockwise which when seated will back out the sheared bolt. Dont get crazy with it though.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
18 Aug 2012 02:18 #543225 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic help with sheared manifold screws
And don't use Ryobi screw extractors, I just ended up with one in my exhaust side, and it was softer than the screw, I drilled right through it. They don't stand a chance. I had some craftsman's that faired a little better. Be careful with extractors, many a thread holds the classic "i used a screw extractor, and now instead of a stuck bolt, there's a stuck extractor" line in it.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
18 Aug 2012 02:37 #543234 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic help with sheared manifold screws
tap the easy out in with a hammer and back it and the stud out with an adjustable wrench on the easy outs square tip...easy is the key word...if the hole you drill is straight and deep enough and the hammer taps the extractor in tight...the slow hand turned wrench will ease it right out

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife