78 kz 750 twin exhaust help

More
30 Mar 2012 22:53 #513092 by anewmanbp
78 kz 750 twin exhaust help was created by anewmanbp
I have a 1978 kz750 twin that i cleaned up over the winter and have been ripping on this spring. The only thing I am not liking is the exhaust. If anyone is familiar with this bike and could advise me a little that would be amazing. It has two pipes that wrap the motor and then meet up at a muffler. All of this is stock. I don't like the look or the sound and would like to do something with both. Looking at it with my limited experience I say cut the muffler off and it will look sweet and sound sweet. My concern is that I don't know how if at all that would affect the mechanics of the bike. Does anyone have any advice on this? or if that is a horrible idea, does anyone have places they have found after market pipes for the old bikes? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2012 00:59 - 31 Mar 2012 01:00 #513105 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 78 kz 750 twin exhaust help

anewmanbp wrote: I have a 1978 kz750 twin that i cleaned up over the winter and have been ripping on this spring. The only thing I am not liking is the exhaust. If anyone is familiar with this bike and could advise me a little that would be amazing. It has two pipes that wrap the motor and then meet up at a muffler. All of this is stock. I don't like the look or the sound and would like to do something with both. Looking at it with my limited experience I say cut the muffler off and it will look sweet and sound sweet. My concern is that I don't know how if at all that would affect the mechanics of the bike. Does anyone have any advice on this? or if that is a horrible idea, does anyone have places they have found after market pipes for the old bikes? Thanks

If your saying you only have one muffler someone has already swapped out the stock exhaust for some aftermarket thing (see pic below of stock exhaust for the 1978 KZ750). Also, if you just cut the muffler off your bike will run like absolute crap. Exhaust systems and engines are tuned together and modifying the exhaust without taking into account the engine requirements will have a huge impact on the way an engine runs. If you want to try a little experiment, just remove the pipes from the cylinder head and start the engine. Ed

Attachment 00KZ750Pipes.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2012 01:00 by 650ed.

More
31 Mar 2012 01:31 #513108 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 78 kz 750 twin exhaust help
Post a picture, sounds like you already have a modified exhaust. The stock ones all had two pipes and mufflers with a crossover as shown in the pic above.

1979 KZ-750 Twin